HB REAR SCREEN RUBBER

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB REAR SCREEN RUBBER

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:37 am

OOPS.... missed out an 'O'. I wasn't trying to expand your ego..... :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Good advice there, still pretty much a novice myself when it comes to removing/replacing windscreens, but if you take your time there's no reason why you can't do it yourself, watch a few different you tube videos of how to do this, or any other job your contemplating to show you how others do it, that should help you decide whether it's a job for you, or a professional, don't use washing up liquid as a lubricant, it has a very high salt content, better to use car shampoo
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:27 pm

It's not as difficult as you think with a toughened screen. They can take a fair bit of twisting, bending, pushing and shoving. Laminated ones are the tricky ones. I have no fear of toughened screens but I've always left laminated ones to the pros.

You can always do what I did, called out Autoglass to fix a chip or two on my daily driver on the insurance and then asked the guys to fit the new tint top laminated screen I had bought to my Firenza as a cash in hand job...£20 and 20 minutes later and it was done and 3 chips fixed on my main car.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:36 pm

I've heard the same about laminated, very easy to crack, the toughened screens seem to take a fair amount of abuse, tried to break one in my youth by jumping on & twisting & it surprised me how resilient it was
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:13 am

Not having been out to my garage for a day or two (it's a couple of miles away) I'm guessing the screen will be identified as laminated or toughened at the 'kite mark' etching in the corner?

I found these American instruction videos on YouTube - which seem to broadly echo Mitch's description of how to go about this process.

Short video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ

Longer video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXTbtjq_mc

(I'm guessing we would fit the Mylar plastic chrome effect screen trim in our cars after fitting the screen)

Thanks for your helpful advice chaps. I'm feeling a bit more confident about this now - particularly if my HB screens are toughened glass rather than laminated.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:26 am

Yes, Laminated or Toughened will be printed on the screen. ALL rear and side screens will be toughened and the majority of front screens too.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to Restoration