paint removal

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

paint removal

Postby hbr341 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi All
Iam taking all the paint off my HB SL for full bare metal respray i did the same with the GT 10years ago any tips on removing the red oxide primer paint stripper dont touch it .

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: paint removal

Postby 1972nail » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:27 pm

You may find that a different paint stripper will remove it. Failing that it's a bit of work with an orbital sander with fairly coarse discs. Remember that you are working down to steel so you can be fairly brutal.

Also remember that the red oxide primer will probably include lead so wearing a dust mask and cleaning up the mess and binning it instead of washing it into the drains are sensible precautions.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:04 pm

What kind of paint stripper are you using? A lot of commercial brands have suffered from the decrease in dichoromethane and don't perform anywhere near as well as they used to. I bought some "Starchem" and it's working quite well, several motor factors stock it now, and car paint suppliers.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 pm

1972nail wrote:You may find that a different paint stripper will remove it. Failing that it's a bit of work with an orbital sander with fairly coarse discs. Remember that you are working down to steel so you can be fairly brutal.

Also remember that the red oxide primer will probably include lead so wearing a dust mask and cleaning up the mess and binning it instead of washing it into the drains are sensible precautions.

Just to add to this, keep you sander moving as not to overheat the panels as you may generate enough heat to buckled the panel.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:48 am

Haven't used it personally but, pretty much any forum I follow, the people are using this instead of sanding

https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Paint-Rust-Str ... 0pmolb56_e

(you can buy in bulk on ebay)

I am midway through refinishing wheels for the Midget - one paint stripper didn't tough the finish while the next took it right off - so, might be worth trying different brands
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:32 am

I forgot about those, They are great and well worth the cost. There are cheaper alternatives than 3M that work just as well but wear a bit quicker.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:26 am

Yes, they're very good too, I've used similar in my angle grinder though probably not 3M versions. The only trouble with them is the stuff goes everywhere, as it does with pretty much any rotary method.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbr341 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi All
Thanks for all your advice i bought the rust stripper wheel works very well took 20mins to strip boot lid back to shinny steel i used final systems paint stripper first that takes all the top coats off very well then ground off that red primer thanks,

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration