This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1965 Viva SL

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 am

DOM is DOmestic Market i.e. UK spec and sold in the UK. All of our cars sold new in the UK (including Northern Ireland) were DOmestic Market Spec. Those destined for the rest of the world (including Southern Ireland) had different designations but I don't know what the were.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby pbottomley » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:41 pm

to 20 refers to the engine compression ratio:

Standard engine 8.5:1 (HA20)
low compression engine 7.3:1 (HA20) Vans and optional on saloons (has a thick copper gasket between head and block)
90 engine 9.0:1 (HA21)

so it confirms that its a SL and not a SL90....

the rest of it I don't know sorry, by books and info i wrote on the website are the total of what I knew at the time
pbottomley

Postby lord13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:34 pm

aha well that's cleared some of it up at least, still would like to know what the '856' is, it's where the extras like water temp gauge are shown, but I can't find '856' on the list anywhere. I thought DOM meant domestic or something like that.
cheers guys
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Been looking over the viva today in a bit more depth, it's looking very good, no welding required, absolutely none. and it doesn't look like it's had much done in the past either, everything looks good to go . . .Nice :D

Starting from the front, this is looking up at the drivers side inner wing, the black patch in the center is a blob of fresh-ish under seal around the bolt.

This is the same area, passenger side.

A couple of shots looking towards the rear axle.

rear axle area

N/S rear quarter underside.

O/S rear quarter underside.

Front panel area.

All the brakes are like this, they've all been done :)

Even the oils clean :)

It's all looking very promising :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Nice when you get something like that. :wink:

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Bob perry » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Definitely an SL, with the rear light set up, and stripe, but no servo fitted? Looks a good project you lucky *bleep*!!
When you get round to it I have a few chrome bits for the sides tucked away in the garage. Not the best condition but better than non at all. Also a decent front grille if you need one.

Give me a p.m.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:46 pm

ooo yes i'll have those bits of trim off you, but i don't think i need a grille, i have a choice of 3 :)

Question: does the grill have a separate piece of trim along the bottom edge only? well...just below the grille actually. I have this piece, but i dont have a matching one for the top...but looking at pictures on the net, it looks like they only have the bottom piece...if you get my meaning.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Another question, on the subject of pos/neg earth.

Which is mine? according to the 'RAC' manual I have, only early models are pos earth, later ones are neg earth. also according to this book, the early pos earth ones have one wire going to the coil,and the later neg earth ones have two, for a start feed and a resisted feed. just like a HB.

Mine has two feeds so negative earth yes?

However, the battery terminals are set up to take a positive earth. As the ground cable has a large post terminal, and the feed cable has a small post terminal. So positive earth yes?

Then, sitting on the inner wing I found a new large post terminal looking like it was waiting to be fitted to the feed cable.... so has someone fiddled with it and changed the polarity? Added to this the regulator box has had the case removed, and i remember you could alter the polarity by holding shut one of the breakers for a second or two. .. so did someone do this? I dunno..... can I check for polarity on the components? will my multimeter give me a clue as to which way round everything is...is there a test?

answers on a postcard please . . ..
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pm

My understanding is that if it has been converted from positive to negative then going through the procedure again will not do any harm. So, if it is still positive earth then the procedure to change will change it to negative, if it has already been changed then the procedure will have no affect and you will be sure it's now negative earth.

Sorry but I just figured that a Forum post is quicker than getting a postcard, writing it, getting a stamp, posting it....etc..... :wink:

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:09 pm

yes that works quicker ;)

I'll flash it to neg earth then ad hope its all ok :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration