Build Plate Reproduction

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Build Plate Reproduction

Postby vivamad » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Can anybody point me in the direction of a company that does a reproduction vehicle build plate please? Its the one that is riveted to the slam panel via 4 rivets and has the vehicles build information on it. Unfortunately mine is badly rusted so I cant even see what its supposed to look like, however, I can make out the information stamped into the plate.
1972 Viva HC X14
1980 Vauxhall Royale 3.0i Coupe
2015 Vauxhall Adam
2017 VW Golf
2019 VW Passat
vivamad
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Build Plate Reproduction

Postby Bob perry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 pm

There are a couple of companies listing on e bay if you just type in replica vin plates.
Not sure of the legalities of making new vin plates though, so be careful!
Might have to put any new one beside the original with new pop rivets!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Didn't someone post details on here a week or two back? I mentioned that the issue was having the reverse stamping (so that the numbers are "up" rather than "down") and someone posted a link to a company that did it. Maybe it was on the Facebook group.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:31 pm

As this is not the VIN plate then there should be no ptoblems. But as Snoopdroop says getting it reversed stamped will be difficult.

When you say fitted with 4 rivets, only early HCs had 4 rivets and by 1972 they had even got to the stage of only drilling 4 holes on the inner wings. The 4th rivet cannot be fitted on the production line with the rectangular headlights already fitted, so why bother.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vivamad » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:46 pm

1972nail wrote:As this is not the VIN plate then there should be no ptoblems. But as Snoopdroop says getting it reversed stamped will be difficult.

When you say fitted with 4 rivets, only early HCs had 4 rivets and by 1972 they had even got to the stage of only drilling 4 holes on the inner wings. The 4th rivet cannot be fitted on the production line with the rectangular headlights already fitted, so why bother.

Well, I say fixed with 4 rivets. I never refitted it from the previous restoration, so I'm only guessing it was held with a rivet in each corner. I would like to fit a replacement if possible, that's all.
1972 Viva HC X14
1980 Vauxhall Royale 3.0i Coupe
2015 Vauxhall Adam
2017 VW Golf
2019 VW Passat
vivamad
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration