GIJ 9461

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: GIJ 9461

Postby HC Fairley » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:13 pm

11/07/2022

The Viva at the world's largest bonfire in Larne measuring at 203ft high a few hours before it was lit. We enjoyed a good run around the country that day covering another 190 trouble free miles.
Attachments
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:55 am

Saturday 30th July I attended a local show with the Viva. Convoyed over with an Ascona :D
Attachments
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:08 am

Some summer runs out also featuring Phillip Orr's GT
Attachments
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:30 am

A lesson learned this Easter. About this time last year I fired up the viva for the 2023 season. Immediately fuel poured from the adjuster on the carb. No problem, a week or two later I fitted a new set of O-rings supplied by 1972Nail. Leak free we set off on the 3 mile journey to the town to get some fuel. Car running like a champ I thought happy days, pulled in and filled the tank with fresh super unleaded. Started up again and the pesky 1256 wouldn't rev, just idled for about 5 minutes always threatening to cut out when your foot went near the throttle. eventually it wouldn't even idle anymore. Let it cool for a while and managed to limp home at a sedate 20mph once we got moving. Initially I thought it was something to do with the fuel mixture as I had pulled the carb apart to get the new O-rings fitted. Checked it and it was only wound out 2 turns. I experimented over the next few weeks with the mixture, too rich too lean etc but with no success, the car started from cold fine but it was getting worse ! Once I got to the first junction and the momentum was off it died down and started to misfire and felt like it was only running on 3. Checked inlet manifold was properly tightened down, checked timing, coil and continued to work at the fuel mixture convinced that having it apart to replace the O-rings had upset something. If I drove it out of the shed and round the house to wash it the car wouldn't even start afterwards until it had sat 20 mins! It was parked away in autumn of 2022 running perfect! No success and being totally fed up I left it to sit in the shed all of 2023 as it was annoying me too much.

I decided over the Easter break last week I'd try again. Quick test run confirmed the problem was still there, sitting still in traffic for 30 seconds brought the problem on again and I brought the entire town to a standstill ! I was told by a Viva enthusiast that the only plug I should use in the 1256 was the factory spec AC 42XLS as they don't like running on anything else . I have to admit I thought this was nonsense as I ran NGK for years but I bought a set off eBay and changed them. I notice the gap is far smaller on the AC Plugs. They have cured the problem so I have to assume one of the NGK Plugs was breaking down as the engine temp rose and I was dropping out 1 or maybe even 2 cylinders. The car also feels a little more lively and more responsive which is an added bonus. Happy to have it sorted once again and covered a few miles last week for the first time in 18 months
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 pm

Who'd have thought changing spark plug brand would have made that much difference! I have a similar problem on my estate & haven't had time to do anything with it for the past year or so, the green spark plug company list them so I'll try a set of them & see how it goes
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:49 am

I'd say the most of the issue was the overly large gap on the NGK compared to the AC. The plugs were badly carbon fouled when I pulled them out, I assume the large gap lead to a weaker spark which in turn gave bad burn and fouled the plugs to the point of being useless.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:22 am

I've only used Champion plugs once in my cars, and had no end of trouble with them. Since then I've used either NGK or AC Delco without any issues. I prefer the Delco at the moment because they don't have the little screw-off terminal on the end which can cause trouble if it comes loose.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:29 am

I think the NGK are ok. If I had replaced mine with NGK it probably would have solved the problem again for a while. I have ran the car since 2017 on NGK and have to admit they have given no trouble until now. However, it stands to reason that the correct factory plug should be better in the long term. As I say, the car seems to idle better and is more responsive, less popping and banging too so it seems to be getting a much better burn
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration