LJK 982L 1972 2 Door Saloon Restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

LJK 982L 1972 2 Door Saloon Restoration

Postby HC Fairley » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:58 pm

My most recent purchase arrived at its new residence 2 nights ago. No actual restoration has commenced just yet but hopefully we will make headway soon. It is just a rolling shell so I am open to a lot of engine and gearbox options. The plan is to create a bit of a rally replica car like the YJO 5K Will Sparrow one attached, colours are yet to be decided on. I am looking forward to the build especially as most of these type of builds are done on coupes. The 2 Door saloon lies more within my price range and seems to be easier to find compared to the Coupe. Here are the customary "before" photos As mentioned in the General thread this is a joint project between myself and younger brother, I'm sure he will be joining us on here soon.. More to follow later.
Attachments
Sparrow.jpg
Sparrow.jpg (11.8 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: LJK 982L 1972 2 Door Saloon Restoration

Postby HC Fairley » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 am

1 Previous owner by the name Fred Flintstone it would appear :lol:

I assume the floor was cut out to get at the rotten chassis rail and repair it. The subframe and inner wings are in remarkably good condition as is the rest of the floor and underside of the car.
Attachments
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Chassis and floor repair panels have now arrived from Mike Edwards. They look great, now to get them stuck in
Attachments
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:49 pm

Excellent, hope they fit well for you. Don't forget to put the captive bolt plate into the chassis rail before you fix the floor in place above it. I tend to leave the gearbox bolts sticking out so I can see at a glance that it's there, also it stops the plate going anywhere if you tip the car over on a rotisserie if you use one.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 pm

HC Fairley wrote:Chassis and floor repair panels have now arrived from Mike Edwards. They look great, now to get them stuck in

Those look great. Better get a bit of welding practice in so that the quality of the welding matches the panels :wink:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby chopper » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:32 am

Can you offer a bit of info. about the repair panels and similar.
What`s available, who is Mike Edwards, contact info. etc. Cheers

Memory bank just stirred the fog a bit-is M.E. the Magnum rally car man?
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 am

chopper wrote:Can you offer a bit of info. about the repair panels and similar.
What`s available, who is Mike Edwards, contact info. etc. Cheers

That's me. PM sent.
Last edited by droopsnoot on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:00 am

At present I believe Mike offers floor pans, chassis rails and washer bottle brackets. That's him a few replies above under the name Droopsnoot. You can also get in contact with him at mike@firenza.net
I believe his mobile number was also in the last club magazine but I haven't got it handy. I have bought a few things of Mike over the last year, very quick responses and a pleasure to deal with. He had the panels out to me in 5 days!
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:45 am

1972nail wrote:
HC Fairley wrote:Chassis and floor repair panels have now arrived from Mike Edwards. They look great, now to get them stuck in

Those look great. Better get a bit of welding practice in so that the quality of the welding matches the panels :wink:

I can come up and practice on your firenza at the weekend? :P :goodideasign:
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 am

This last week has been busy in viva land. I have been off work for Easter so spent time gathering up bits and pieces. First off I pulled the subframe out and stripped it down so we can blast and paint it. The rear springs and polybush kit also arrived this week from TJ Motorpsort. The full kit was purchased so I can polybush the entire car. Some of the existing rubber bushes look reasonable but others are totally knackered. The rear springs are Group 4 spec at 250lb rate. There are no rear springs so I had the perfect reason to spend more money and buy these. Also both front springs appear to have broken (or badly cut) but the plan is to get a set of coilovers made for this car as well from GAZ and add a set of adjustable dampers to the rear.
Attachments
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Restoration