General help and advice please

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby mazzo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 pm

Carpets are out!

There are holes but I think they are reasonably minor (unless anyone tells me otherwise) :?

Biggest hole is at the nearside rear wheel arch. This goes through both the arch and the metal plate behind. The OS is only through the wheel arch.

Drivers footwell has a small hole. The rest is solid. I have been quite brutal making sure I am not deluding myself as to the condition. The side walls of the floorpan are fine thankfully.

All in all it is rusty. Now the work starts!

Couple of questions:

1. What would you use to get rid of the rust and prep the surface (red oxide or a rust treatment)?

2. Before putting new carpet underlay in, would you paint the floorpan or use an underseal?

Lots of pics in the garage. I've run out of space so will change them as I go along.

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Geeza » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi Maz.
Just been looking at your pics in the garage.I agree with the other comments for that price you have done very well :) Looks really good now its clean and the colour really suits it:D Little bit of patching and some work on the interior and you've got youself a smart motor for very little cash.
Cheers Sean.
Geeza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby mazzo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks Sean

More work today. As the water and crud dry out it reveals a bit more. I've been quite brutal with the floorpan and have uncovered some holes. (pics in garage)

I could have left them but I can't see the point in resoring it with thin/crumbling metal work held together with underseal or flaky rust.

I want to try to do this properly and although I've worked on Vivas for over 23 years, I've never had one with as much work - particularly remedial stuff. So this will test me - I could be on for incredible satisfaction or huge humiliation if I fail!!! :oops:

Going for it though - spurred on by all the positive comments.

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration