General help and advice please

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

General help and advice please

Postby mazzo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi all.

Today I got my 1971 HC delivered. Bought off ebay and not quite as I thought it would be. What I need is some help trying to decide whether to save it, what exact model it is and whether I would be better off selling for parts and getting tinkerman's friends 4 door SL if it still up for grabs!

The car is a 2 door saloon. J reg - Feb 1971. All original but not healthy.

The good bits:

The outside is very solid. Only rust I've found so far is on the front wing where it joins up to the valence. Seats un ripped and panels original (no speaker holes). Even has a clear and unbroken interior lamp cover. Boot and bonnet sound (inc inner wings and all suspension round boot). Roof lining is intact and reasonably clean.

The bad bits:

The inside is saturated! It's been vandalised. Steering lock and wiring are broken as is the indicator stalk. Shroud is damaged but probably glueable. Engine turns over but top hoses are shot. Exhaust is "interesting" but poor. The door edge trim is cloth type and falling to bits / shrunk. Door lock missing on driver's side.

The odd:

It has a rubber fitted carpet - not cloth carpet??? Never seen one before. It has the old speedo (100mph grey) but no temp guage only a griffin.

I think my heart must have sunk when I saw inside. Not sure what model it is - perhaps someone can tell from the carpet or lack of temp guage.

Not sure whether to try to salvage as body seems sound or to sell for parts and try to get my money back. Not easy after transportation costs too.

Advice welcome - but be kind, I'm feeling very dissapointed. This isn't somehting I'm going to be driving in a couple of weeks (or possibly ever). :cry:
Last edited by mazzo on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Geeza » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Hello mate.
Sorry to hear that you are not happy.It is always difficult buying blind :(
But on the bright side it sounds to me if the body and structire are sound the car is probably not as bad as you think :) Water could just be leaking window seals,ignition bits should be avaliable either through the club or ebay and hoses and service items are pretty easy to sort :D
My '71 Firenza is a base model and has rubber mats instead of carpets but it does have a temp gauge.Could be a fleet model if Vauxhall did them,I know Ford did.
Anyway chin up I'm sure the guys on here and in the rest of the club will be happy to help getting bits together :D
Best of luck Sean.
Geeza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby mazzo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks Sean.

I've probably been a bit too eager to get back into Vivas. I decided that I needed to have an interest that doesn't involve sitting around all the time. Vivas have always been my passion and so I jumped too quickly.

I have joined the club and even arranged insurance on the car because I thought it was only a tiny bit of work to get it back on the road. What a plonker!!!

I'm cross with myself and feeling quite down. I know I have not been on the scene very long (apart from many years ago) but from what I have seen, the members are helpful and supportive, so that is a big positive.

Tomorrow things may look different. I am hoping in the daylight I won't uncover any big problems and start to clean up the mess inside.

Thanks again - you did cheer me up a bit! :wink:

Maz
Last edited by mazzo on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Your model has the correct fittings eg base had rubber flooring, and grey speedo and square vent dash. I know the car as i too was thinking about it. I have all that you need to get the interior sorted, dont despair lad. If the body is solid SAVE IT.
Pork Pie

Postby mazzo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks tinkerman

I'm nervous about what lies under the waterlogged carpets but if it is sound I will try to save it. Shame you didn't buy it as I would definitely have gone for your freinds 4 door SL. That was ideally what I was after!! You posted that less than 24 hours after I had got the other one.

Thanks for the offer of parts. I will try to work out exactly what I need.

Cheers again.

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:02 pm

doesnt sound like you dont need much and for pennies you can get it sorted but you`ll never sort a rusty shell out on the cheep.
Pork Pie

Postby Geeza » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:04 pm

Happy to help Maz,I don't think there is anyone involved in old motors that hasn't been through this at one time or another,I know I have :( but I'm sure it will turn out ok :D
Cheers Sean.
Geeza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Clara » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Aren't the rubber carpets a sign that the car is a base model and really rather rare to own?

Lucky you!!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:54 pm

Thanks Clara.

Just put the first pics up in the garage. Have taken the day off work tomorrow to strip the inside, so may have more to show then - and hopefully no holes.

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Geeza » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:11 pm

I've seen worse than that mate :D good wash and it will be as good as new :D
Geeza
SL Viva