wheel arch repair measurements

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

wheel arch repair measurements

Postby VivaPete » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Does anyone have a set of measurements or advice in fitting wheel arch repair panels?
I have a 4 door HB.
I have taken some measurements before grinding takes place but the original contours of the arches have long since vanished. The sills too have been patched and replaced over the years and in short there is little point of original reference left that I would trust!

The rear door swage line is one reference point together with the body waistline crease.

I am using 2 door repair panels which doesn't makes things straight forward!
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bodyworx » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi Pete,
Youve probably picked the hardest way to go (2 door arches on a 4 door).
From memory, the repair arch joining flange should sit on the lip behind the wheel .
The other end of the arch (front) should either line up with the top edge of the sill panel or sit under the sill and mount on the lower sill lip.
I would advise to try this with the door shut and the repair arch sitting over the original in place to check it looks right first.
If it looks ok, tape it in place, mark round it with a felt marker or pencil and remove it.
It should then show you where you have to cut the old panel off.
You will have a bit of faffing about around the door opening to cut your new arch into the correct shape,
Cut the old panel leaving about a half inch spare so you can slide the new arch INSIDE the old one not outside, it will give you a far better fit and its a lot easier to weld and then blend in with filler once its on and will look more original.
hope this helps
If I can help any more give me a PM
Andy.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration