'71 SL Estate - Progress!

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby Kat » Sun May 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Kat wrote:The fuel filler/tank coupling is now on, many thanks to vitaminc74 for the replacement.

And here for your viewing pleasure are the "before" and "after" photographs of said item.

Before

After

That seems to have sorted out the high fuel consumption, it's not supposed to use any when it's switched off and parked... ;)

Anyone who's not looked at theirs might be well advised to do so, the one on 'Lurch', my '79 HC, is original and also deteriorating.
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby kellyharding » Sun May 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Ian, calm down, if that car had of been 'perfect' then Paul would of had it on the road and I would be driving it, but it wasn't, it needed more work than originally thought, which was beyond paul's abilities.

hence it got passed onto Kat who has the abilities to get it on the road and working as it should be.

Kelly
kellyharding

Postby Clara » Sun May 06, 2007 7:55 pm

AUTOMAN wrote:I don't understand all this, what happened to the car after leaving me in October and getting to you in April.

You haven't really got in to the joys of owning classic cars yet have you Ian? They may look shiny but they can be a pile of rubbish underneath, and surprisingly enough things fail on them as bits wear out.

It's one of the perks of owning them ;)

The poor estate had so many little things wrong with it where people had messed around (two solenoids for a start :lol: ) we shouldn't be surprised it broke down when Paul got it we should be amazed it went fine while you had it.

Good luck Kat! I'm loving reading the updates - will you be doing us anything for the magazine?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sun May 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Please Please don't missunderstand me. I am picking no fault and am glad that somebody who can enjoy the car has it. I am assured of Kat's abilities which far exceed my own and never doubted her knowledge. As for not getting to grips with owning classic cars, I had my firt one at the age of 14 and since then have allways owned one of some kind. Now being almost 39, I believe that 25 years is long enough to get to grips with what is involved as after all that is longer than some classic car lovers have lived.

My point was not meant as a critisism of anybody or their abilities, rather it was a question to ponder. Paul, sorry if you were offended as I meant not for this to happen and like-wise to you Kat.

Some people have a car that works well for them all the time that they own it and then you hear of stories of what a heap of *Bleep* it is for the next owner. That is why I said that I thought that Paul must have been jinxed. As soon as he had the car, things started going wrong for him.

Again I say Good luck Kat, I hope it all goes well and I am assured that Emma is loved and more than well cared for, a fact that I do not doubt in any way.

Ian.
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby Clara » Mon May 07, 2007 1:18 pm

:lol: Bottomley being jinxed certainly would make sense! Especially with his latest rust box.

(Sorry sweetie!)
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby kellyharding » Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Clara wrote::lol: Bottomley being jinxed certainly would make sense! Especially with his latest rust box.

(Sorry sweetie!)

I don't think it is a case of being jinxed, more a case of too little time to do some things on cars as he'd like.

Hence why he bought 'Arthur' (yes, thats the new name for the S74), as it didn't need any work... till the MoT anyway...

Kelly
kellyharding

Previous

Return to Restoration