sl 90 billing project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby bulldog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:30 pm

hi,whilst we were away on holiday the friendly hb fairy came along(ie my dad)and took my hb to have new tyres fitted quite frankly the 5.50 tyres scared the life out of me it didn't corner,it didn't stop and it generally just didn't feel nice!he also noticed that the engine was a bit tappy from the tappits so yep he adjusted the tappits,whilst rooting about in the back of the car looking for the hb manual he came across the gearbox seal so yes he changed that too and changed the oil in the gearbox at the same time he kept the oil back to show me it was like grease thick and horrible,he changed the points and the condenser that was new in the bag he found aswell top dad dont you wish you had a viva fairy too??i think my dad has took to the hb. :shock:
while i was away on holiday i found a autojumble(as the wife has already said)and i found some hb engine mounts and some black plastic number plate screws yes she was right following day after arriving home i was out in the car park changing engine mounts refitting the number plate screws i then thought i'd take it to my uncles garage the other side of town to set the mixture to what a hc 1159cc engne would be so i took it on the motorway and it went really well,got to the garage put it on the machine and then things started to go down hill VERY quickly,the mixture went down as low as 1% then back up to 9% and down to 1% and so on after a hr of messing about things started to get worse it started to cut out and stall,the revs were going up/down like a yoyo it didn't matter whatever we did it was wrong,took it for a test drive to see what was going on along the flat it went really well come to a hill forget it!!!turn it around and come back down again it just wouldnt make it up the hills no matter whatever i done i could not correct the problem how strange ,it sounded like it was misfiring but only on hills,i changed the plug leads even though they were new i changed the plugs even thought theyre new,changed the condenser even though that was new, two hours of frustration it suddenly dawned on me to check thats it getting fuel i removed the fuel pump cap and it was full of white yuk cleaned the fuel pump out HOORAY thought id found it ,bombed down the rd the problem was still there now i was not happy :( the garage has now come to closing time and doors and cars were being pulled in around me i tried to make it home and YES it broke down,managed to get it to my dads house and out of frustration and desperation i decided to strip the carb guess what i found in the bottom?WATER :shock: the carb was sucking water in the main jet up/down hills but on the flat it wasnt a problem where did the water come from?ive stripped cleaned,dried the tank with thinners and changed all the rubber hoses weeks before hand so i KNOW the tank did not have water in it as i didnt use water to clean the tank,my only guess is that sometimes in heavy rain it leaks in through the boot as i have no boot seal and ive noticed petrol stains around the sender unit
is it possible for the water to find its way through the sender unit???so now im going to seal the sender unit it and drain and clean the tank AGAIN,and now i definatly need to get a boot seal sorted out i was hoping to drive the car to mallory park retro rides show to see/show ade but now its going to have to go up on trailer(to paul b house then we'll drive up together) it seems you do what you can to save these cars and all they want to do is fight you!i havent given up on the hb but i do feel a tad glum at the moment :( we'll have to see what sunday might bring when i have another look.mike
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 pm

well the hb didn't make it to the trailer so we couldn't go to mallory park it seems it was having one of its moments,it was running really well until friday the day of departure it went to work fine but on the way home it had its funny moments which some things are still unexplained :? on the journey home from work it seemed to puff out big plumes of blue smoke from the exhaust and it was running really lumpy and wouldn't tick over it seems to have have now stopped its still running lumpy and sometimes stalls,so we decided it was best to give mallory park a miss to see if i can sort the probs out(at the time i thought the engine was gone it looked an felt like the piston rings had given up)running through a series of tests the smoke stoppped coming ,(strange i thought) after 2 hrs of messing i decided to go indoors and leave well alone until the next day i was in a very bad mood confused and frustrated and i was almost on the way to the pub(i rarely drink :roll )
the next day it started up and drove fine and no blue smoke i took it to my uncles garage where we done a compression test according to the book its a high compression engine its meant to be 135lb/sq in but it was 155 on all 4 pistons :D so whats with the blue smoke??the only thing i can think of is maybe one of the rings got stuck or the valve seals are leaking but i've never seen a valve seal leak that bad and now there is no blue smoke???how odd,we checked the timing it was out so we adjusted the timing and dwell angle and then we tried to set the mixture as our last attempt failed.its exactly the same as before up n down to 1% to 9% and so on ,we drove the car back home and i have now completely stripped and cleaned the carb in thinners left to soak for 12hrs it seems to run alot better now but now im in need of a metering jet(needle)as i bent it :oops: i have straightened it up but it sticks but hopefully a new jet will be along shortly and maybe finally we can get the mixture set and the hb might start to behave itself!mike
Last edited by bulldog on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 pm

It does sound like sticking rings, due to it been sttod for awhile. Does it have the rubber seals around the exhaust valve stems? These can go hard and leak oil down the stems.
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby mrs bulldog » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:57 am

well we're driving up to the national in hb fingers crossed it'll be ok it'll be the furthest its been in one drive!we need to update this diary so will get to it after the national and hopefully there wont be bad news about getting there!(perhaps i should buy the beer before we leave rather than wait until we get there!! :lol: )sarah
sarah ex wife of mike (bulldog)

a viva widow in the making.....if you can't beat them join them!!!!
hc estate,magnum,firenza,hb.......ANOTHER one mike??
mrs bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:40 pm

guess who passed the mot today?yes the hb flew through its done 5500 miles since last yr which has been eventful and also enjoyable its been a rocky road at times we've had bent valves,and timing chain adjusters exploding dumping all its oil and lost oil pressure theres been a few things changed in the car since the last lot of pics(i'll put up a recent pic tomorrow)i have now got all of the panels i require ive managed to find someone who can supply cellose(?) paint so after the firenza is finished the hb will have its restoration(shell)
so the hb will be coming to billing this yr.mike
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Nice one Mike!

See you there. :D
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bulldog » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:03 pm

before
now
before
now
winter mufflers :lol:
now
now on a serious note ALL hb owners there is a serious problem with the fuel tanks if you have more than 3 quarters of a tank of fuel and you park it sideways on a hill when the car warms up in the sun it will force the fuel up through the filler neck and dump it onto the back bumper and onto the road i have a brand new filler cap on my car so i know i won't get any better than that so be warned!!
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lisbon_road » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:58 pm

HBs vent through the filler cap so you always have to have no overall seal there - though even my shall we say pragmatic MOT examiner still wants to see a rubber seal.

Just part of the fun. Park 'em facing downhill, and I never have a full tank as I do so little milage and I don't want the fuel going off.

Jon
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:28 pm

i think it gets air trapped at the back of the tank that when it gets hot in the sun presser builds up and forces the fuel out :?
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lisbon_road » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:58 pm

It vents through the cap - if the cap does not vent, the car won't start as the pump (generally) can't draw much of a vacuum.

Therefore all being well, pressure can't build up, but the volume of petrol can increase as it heats up. When it increases, it simply overflows out of the tank, makes one hell of a smell and lets hope no-one lights up too close.

Anyway, I think thats what happens! :)
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration