sl 90 billing project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby mazzo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:10 am

Looking good - but wow what a lot of work!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bulldog » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:07 pm

hi mazz mikes been super busy this week i've hardly seen him!and when i have hes under the viva all black and dirty!its really coming along unfortunatly its raining here on/off today so im not sure what he can do later tonight and he goes out monday nights so hes on limited time anyway,i see you've been busy with yours mazz keep up the good work and just do what you can before billing,take care.
sarah (the viva widow!!haha)
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:28 pm

Sarah the Tolerant!

Actually I got my wife to help me (and the kids as well) on Saturday. She helped me bleed the brakes and the kids hoovered and cleaned the inside as it was covered in all the dust from the filling. Can't say she enjoyed it though! She's now complaining about having one leg bigger than the other from doing the brakes and because the seat isn't fixed in, she had to hold onto the steering wheel as she jabbed the brakes down. So she says she's hurt her back as well, but I think it's just a ruse to get out of helping again!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bulldog » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm

right folks come to a cruncher it appears that 20yr ago that you only had to tack weld repair panels over the top of the inner wings,however now the old inner wing has rotted away they never had the repair panel anywhere nr the headlight what do i do now?im going to have to remove the wing to repair this section and the hinge section as this is alot worse than i first thought it appears the strenthening bracket that the hinge bolts to is no longer there!! :? i'm going to have to try and cut out the rust by the headlight panel and somehow make a panel or find a repair panel that is in a better shape than mine,they look like they've been fitted with a sledgehammer, :roll: however i have changed the fuel hoses and i'm going to strip the carb tonight and hopefully buy new ht leads and plugs tomorrow if anyone have any good suggestions of what i can do with the front let me know.mike
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Clara » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 pm

mazzo wrote:She's now complaining about having one leg bigger than the other from doing the brakes and because the seat isn't fixed in, she had to hold onto the steering wheel as she jabbed the brakes down. So she says she's hurt her back as well, but I think it's just a ruse to get out of helping again!

If it helps I've got a car that needs it's brakes bleeding - she can nip up here and strengthen her other leg :lol:

As for bad backs - I recommend lots of laying down... so be a wonderful husband and provide her with a pot of wax oil before you roll the car over her. 8)
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:12 pm

Good one! Hadn't thought of that!

I'll ask her if she fancies doing your brakes with her other leg. I think I know what her answer will be, but I will try to sell it on the basis that at least your seat is attached to the floorpan (at least I presume it is?)
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:17 pm

mazzo wrote:Good one! Hadn't thought of that!

I'll ask her if she fancies doing your brakes with her other leg. I think I know what her answer will be, but I will try to sell it on the basis that at least your seat is attached to the floorpan (at least I presume it is?)

Certainly is...

... Or at least it was when I left it to go to Norway. Give me a few days to finish sorting out these emails and I'll let you know :shock:
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bulldog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:43 pm

mike hasn't slipped off the face of the earth we've just been busy(kids etc) so haven't updated for yesterday!
yesterday mike refitted the carb and got the car running and it sounded lovely!hes also changed the spark plugs n leads and the dizzy cap,all the lights are now working(20 mins of me watching which ones on/off/working "darn it" type conversations)all the switches in the ingnition now work and rewired.
discovered a water leak on top of the heater shut off valve :( anyone got a good fix idea?as im sure we wont find one.
hes also spent a hour pondering the situation with the inner wings and he thinks he maybe be able to sort it without having to take off the wings and hopefully soon he'll have his paws on 2 hinge repair panels, with lots of thanks to hbpeter :D will try and update again later but have to go and watch our 4 yr olds(amy) first performance singing/dancing etc at her club(yes im dragging mike away from the viva just be a little while i hope he dosen't suffer withdrawl.....).sarah
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lisbon_road » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:24 pm

The easy way to sort out the heater valve is to remove it, and put the pipe straight on the heater rad inside the cowling. Quick, simple and effective. Most modern cars don't bother with the valve. You can use the flap control to stop hot air going into the car.

Amazing story, makes great reading

Jon
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:45 pm

tonight mikes removed the headlights and grill did you used to be able to buy replacement wings with the headlight panel already fitted to the wing?hes removed the heater to unstick the fan it works fot now he hopes it'll stay that way!hes taken apart the passenger door to see if he could find the prob with the window regulator(windy winder know what i mean?!)its fairly well ceased and it sounds like the teeth are coming off!so he'll have to come back to them tomorrow,now hes removed the headlight hes more confident he can do something with the inner wings but at some point its going to need complete inner wings,outer wings and front panel complete,good idea about passing the heater valve lisbonrd hes removed it today and he can see about 3/4 of a inch of metal hose sticking out of the heater box so he will fit the hose to that for temp but long term will have to fix
now hes in to watch the 3 kids im off out! sarah
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration