sl 90 billing project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby bulldog » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:36 pm

hmmmmmmm hb's road test... got ready to go out with the wife ,take it for a drive down some lanes on the way to a mates house got 1.2 miles down the road and yes you've guessed it SHE BROKE DOWN! :cry: WALKED (yes i do walk!)home in the rain wife wearing summer shoes :lol:(soggy yukky feet) got home got my car and went to investigate it seems the pump was blocked got her going and she broke down AGAIN and AGAIN and you've guessed it AGAIN!(x3 in a mile!) it appears that now the fuel tank is blocked.
i knew when i took the old fuel out that there appears to be some black hard stuff in the bottom of the tank that appears to be quite thick covering the whole of the bottom of the tank ,any idea what the black stuff is?and it is very hard and any idea of how to break it down and remove it from the tank?i understand paul b could be the expert in this field paul have you come across any chemicals for flushing through tanks??how did you clean your tank out?i know youve mentioned in a previous post that you used petrol is there anything else you can suggest? :cry: i just want to drive my car :cry: mike
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Vivanuts Glenn » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:42 pm

If its any good to you mike I have a HB tank in my lock up doing nothing you can have my brother cleaned it out for me using some thinners several times and to be honest its just in the way
Vivanuts Glenn
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mrs bulldog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:02 am

h mike does have a spare tank but hes not sure what condition its in,but the one in his hb is in great condition apart from the black stuff i think hes going to try to clean the oringal one first,thanks for the kind offer and if all goes wrong he'll be in touch.sarah
sarah ex wife of mike (bulldog)

a viva widow in the making.....if you can't beat them join them!!!!
hc estate,magnum,firenza,hb.......ANOTHER one mike??
mrs bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Vivanuts Glenn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:26 pm

Vivanuts Glenn
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 pm

in the last three days i have washed and washed the tank and with no change :evil: and then remebered what Vivanuts Glenn had said that his brother had washed his tank with thinners and now today i have got some thinners it seems to work as the thinner is going black but it may take some time :( and i have cleaned the fuel pump fuel lines and carb i have changed one back light lens ,fixed the banging rear shocks(,the hole in the shock was a little too big for the pin in the axle), had to fit a washer to pinch it tight :shock: may get to fit my new number plates tommorow if i get time to pick them up :) mike
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Vivanuts Glenn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:05 pm

hows the tank coming along mike ???
Vivanuts Glenn
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:02 pm

i've been rather busy the last few days as we go on holiday soon so i've been doing cash welding jobs for spending money,and the dog has been to the vets again this time shes hurt herself(torn a knee ligament)and with her others various problems its been a stressful time and the long term outcome dosen't look too good for her.
but yes i have done a little bit on the hb the tank is now in its 3rd flush with thinners with lots of nuts n bolts in the bottom and lots of shaking it seems to work better if i leave it for a couple days and then shake the hell out of it and then pour the thinners back out,it seems to be cleaning it quite well and the smell gives me a funny head! :shock: (quick shut the door)and i've painted down the drivers side sill and wheelarch bottom of the wing in the wrong colour white but it should protect the primer,when it was at billing it was only in primer,when i come back from holiday it'll all be going on again wings,front panel,replace the the sills .in the boot tucked away behind the support panel i found a bit of foam seal is this the genuine hb seal??if so i hope it is ive got someone looking into finding a new seal or manufacturing the seal but i may have to buy a 50ft roll if its going to be manufactured,heres a piccy....
mike
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bulldog » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:23 pm

a tank is fitted back in the hb(from the donor car)got too impatient its taxed/insured and mot'd £120 fully comp for me and the wife (ive also got 3 points)from adrian flux insurance company.
its had its last oil change with good oil and filter still got to do the gearbox seal ,change the gearbox oil and change the rear axle oil and ive got to make up a little tool for clipping the clip on the door window rubber that i have seen in the haynes manual
we've took it for a 5 mile run bit of a rattle in the engine thinking its tappits unsure as yet, brakes are bedded in nicely but i have got a warped disc,hopefully before the end of the week it'll have 5 new tyres on it does anybody want 4 of the 5.5 by 12inch tyres??now its going to be lots of short little journeys to break the car in gently and to fix all teething probs as they appear im keeping to the bus routes!! :) mike
mike

1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mrs bulldog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 pm

hi everyone long time no see!ive driven the hb tonight for the first time,you certainly know your driving!its all rather odd compared to my rover 600 i can drive that one half asleep but the hb well its very bumpy(good support bra a must!),i found the acelerator hard and got all in a jumble looking for the gears,im sure i'll get used to it though im quite attached to her as mikes worked so hard on her haven't given her a name as yet im sure one will come to me though!
seen two old men at the bus stop down the road they stared and looked and i did feel proud of all mikes hard work,my mum liked the car and she had a good laugh at the bumps(theres lots of speed bumps on the main rd)and laughed even more when she couldn't work out how to open the door to get out!not much choice on the radio but found classic gold,not quite radio one but i'll live.sarah

mrs bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mrs bulldog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:45 am

we've just returned form our hols and guess what mike found on our first day at a autojumble/steam fair viva engine mounts!!and we bumped into andy from milliton/miliant models it proves theres no getting away!!we even traveled to the lake district on our hols 5 hr 30 mins away with three kids .
we also spotted another viva hb sl 90 there looking tired and blue and left a note about this club and our number might post a pic on the seen a viva page.i bet mike will be out there later doing the engine mounts,whilst im drowning under dirty washing.................sarah

mrs bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration