Getting marvin ready

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Getting marvin ready

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Well today was the first time I have had time to work on Marvin, Its taken 6 months to get him running. (not that it took that long, I just dont have the time).

Anyway today I finally washed him and had time to toothbrush (yes toothbrush!) the waxoil out of all the little cracks. I had to do this as in the sun Marvin leaks waxoil!! I know a standard HA is around 700 kg's but I recon Marvin must be nearer 800Kg because of all the wax!!

Anyways today was also the first time I have opened the sunroof, it opens but is a little stiff (will lubricate the runners later, but too my alarm I have found some painting issues.

The car was stored in a garage for nearly 10 years and lots of items were kept on its roof, this is the resulting damage.

Which is realy annoying, but hey !!! at least it has a sunroof, and its a near perfect one, not a *Bleep* or split in it anywhere.

Only other issues is where a dust sheet was obviously put on the car and some solvent has spilt leaving a wear mark on the bonnet :

All in all its going to take many hours of power polish , polish itself and lots of time to get it as shiny as I would like for Billing, but here is how it looked after 2 hours of handwashing (and an old toothbrush!) Looks good until you get close.

The wheels are temp, till I get my new tyres for the Brabham rims, A048r's anyone !!
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Pitty about the minor issues with the paint, but that is nothing that a man of your recourcefullness will not solve. I like that car and am looking forward to seeing it again. Keep it up fella.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby dann01 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:00 pm

What a cute little motorcar. Will he be coming to Billing Paul?
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:02 pm

He is a qute little thing and looks great in the flesh so to speak. Well worth a trip just to see him. It was because of this car, that I realy started to like the HA.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:47 pm

Horra Horra, got home today and it was dry!!!

So jumped into play fix Marvin and sorted the new tank out (bad news is van ones dont fit saloons as the mount at the bottom is a little different) .

I had a good look at the old tank, washed it out and now its shiny inside (thank god) and I took the feeder pipe off the bottom, it was blocked! AHHHH HHHHA

So one hour of pipe cleaning and its all unblocked, the old tank is back in with a replacment sender unit (lets hope that works) and new rubber hoses.... and marvin is running again... tomorrow its swap the cross memebrs time!!! :D :D :D
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:19 pm

Some latest updates.

Replaced the rear crossmember with a HA van one.... so nice and strong. :D

Had exhaust played with to make it fit, As I have a HB twin down pipe on the front !!! so not it doesnt rattkle as much on the car. :D

however it ran like a dream for 5 miles. then died :( seems its either, bad coil, water in tank, blocked fuel lines, etc etc

the terrible news is tomorrow is the last day I can get to look at the car, if its not sorted 100% then I cannot bring it to Billing for the simple fact I live more than 5 miles away form Billing! I have no more time left :(

So expect Marvin and the Van to sit on my drive lost whilst everyone else is at Billing... :? :?
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:24 pm

poor poor Marvin, Get well soon fella :(

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:32 am

Gung Ho Paul! Get kicking yer tools! You'll make it to Billing!
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Well thats it offically Marvin is dead ...

So far today I have washed the fuel tank out, put fresh fuel in ... thats £30 worth so far and about 8 miles of road usage so far....

Changed all the fuel lines again for new rubber and new jubilee clips,

Checked the fuel pump its working,

Put an unblocked metal fuel rail between pump and carb..

all good working parts so far....

turned marvin over dead...

nothing not a sodding thing..checked and re checked the leads, the LT and HT leads on coil nothing.. Took off the fuel rail and yes its full of fuel... but it will not fire or spark...this is where I was 7 months ago!!!

Poured petrol in the carb it fires then dies almost instantly

So far its taken 10 months and around £500 of labour and parts to still be a pile of metal on my drive. which i cannot use drive of enjpoy, in fact its a burden right now...

How *Bleep* off am i!!! you wouldnt belive.... right now I have given up asking people for advice cause nothing seems to make it work... I need skilled hands and eyes on this and I just dont have them... so its no billing for me in a viva this year.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
pbottomley

Postby bulldog » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:43 pm

have you have you swoped the carb yet? is the flot in the carb jamed so the fuel cant get in the carb qwick enough? have you took the carb to bits and cleaned it?
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Restoration