Engine Resto

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Engine Resto

Postby steff » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Right time this week to turn the key in my 1159 HC project. The engine has not run since 99, previous owner had a full engine rebuild and unleaded head done in 2002. I have drained the tank and will put some premium unleaded in, the engine turns free with good compression, so plan to put a few drops of diesel down each plug hole and leave for a day or so before I try and start it.

Anyone got any other tips :?:

Steff
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Vivanuts Glenn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 pm

good move steff, i would also just before starting the car drain the oil from the sump and dump it straight in the top that way all the bores are lubed up before u started it.
Vivanuts Glenn
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby steff » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:56 pm

Cheers Glenn

Will do

S
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Excelent advice Glenn.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby john-saab » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:13 am

Check that all the electrics are in tip-top condition...if you can clean the float chamber in the carb...check that the fuel lines are clear....check the fuel pump.
When you do get the engine running...change the oil filter after a short time...if the engine hasnt run for 8 years there will be a little surface rust somewhere in there and you dont want the particles swimming in your oil.......the same with the coolant...rust may have built up in your water chambers and this won't do your water pump any good...I always err on the side of caution and change the water/anti freeze twice....plus i reverse flush the radiatior once the engine has been warmed up a few times.....just incase.
Theres my 2p...i'm off to work...i'm late :roll:
'62 SAAB 96. '64 Viva HA. 70 Hillman Avenger. 70' Bedford HA dormobile, 78 TR7 FHC & 1980 DHC, 85 SAAB 900Turbo and 900i, '86 Audi 100.
Over here as reccomended on www.popularclassics.org
john-saab
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby steff » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Cheers John

There was no rad or hoses on so the coolent and antifreeze only went at the weekend, renewed all the engine side fuel hoses. But when I put the battery on and tried to turn on the oil and ign light came on but ignition barrell is dodgy it been broken before and my running repair has failed, barrell wont stay in and the internal plastic bits at the wiring end are damaged, so someone has had a fiddle before but not got it sorted.

So will anyone have one for sale at billing?

Steff :(
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration