HC Rear Windows

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HC Rear Windows

Postby Andrew Morris » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:58 pm

This bits new to me so help anyone.I need to pop my rear windows out of my 2 door HC as i have rot in the channels where the rubber fits.I have the window "shrouds " out just never taken the glass out.

Is ther a knack to it pls?

Andrew
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:26 am

The way I did it on my Firenza was with a lot of small flat-bladed screwdrivers. Once the frame is removed, this introduces an amount of "slack" into the rubber - the frame is basically a spreader which helps keep the rubber in the bodywork.

First, run a small screwdriver around the outside of the rubber, to break the seal between the rubber and the bodywork. You won't be able to do this all the way around, but it might help ease the window out.

Insert a small screwdriver into the rubber at the top of the window on the inside of the body, and lever the rubber away from the body. Then about an inch away do another one. Once you've got a bit of play in the rubber, you should be able to get one of the screwdrivers through 180 degrees and hook it behind the metal of the bodywork. Repeat this along the length of the top of the window, and you'll feel it start to work outwards.

I cannot stress enough:

a. This worked for me. It might not work for you.
b. Be very gentle. Glass looks like it will take a lot of pushing, then all of a sudden it will be hundreds of tiny pieces on the floor.
c. It's quite hard to describe the method without pictures, but once you start you'll probably get the hang of it. You're basically levering the rubber out of the body, length by length, until you have more than half out.

I didn't mind trying it out on mine because I have plenty of spare coupe rear quarter glass, and the alternative (pushing it out like a windscreen) didn't sound any better to me. I got all the glass out this way, including front and rear screens, and I didn't have any trouble at all.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Firenzaboy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:24 am

I used the same method as droopsnoot,but instead of just screwdrivers i also used those thin plastic spreaders that you get with a tin of filler (mate of mine works in a bodyshop so a life long supply lol),this tends to spread the load a bit more than just using screwdrivers.
Dave
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

HC Rear Windows

Postby Andrew Morris » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:59 pm

Thanks for the rplys everyone,right here goes!

Andrew
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration