HC door-glass seals

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HC door-glass seals

Postby batpoomonkey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Me again, having taken out what remains of the seals on my car, I thought I'd check if they are the original profile and also where I might get some from. I'll also need some clips as I only have 5. Cheers for your help
Attachments
seal.JPG
My excellent artistic impression of the seal profile
seal.JPG (5.87 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
batpoomonkey
SL Viva
SL Viva

HC door-glass seals

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:09 pm

I thought that looked like bat poo myself?
pbottomley

Postby Firenzaboy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Heh heh! :lol:
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby batpoomonkey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:26 pm

lol and here I was thinking I'm an artist. Worth noting the orifice on the right has metal reinforcement in it.

Cheers
batpoomonkey
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Firenzaboy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:30 pm

I eagerly await some response on this myself,as i need some for my Droopsnoot (which i intend to start restoring this autumn,if all goes well) - as far as i know,Adrian still does them for the HB;don't know if any new ones were ever produced for the HC though.... :?
Dave
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby batpoomonkey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:56 pm

Ok, after some research, I think the profile I drew is correct for the internal door-glass seal, however I'm not sure what the external profile is. Can anyone post a pic of their current seals or something? It would help a lot.

Cheers
batpoomonkey
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Stu » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Vaughan,

Here's a picture of the inside seal (more of a channel guide than a 'seal'), where the glass rests against (instead of the metal bodywork!), with one of the old (original) clips in-place on the door where I've removed the outside seal (to replace)...

I got the seal and clips from Adrian Miller's collection of Viva Spares. You need to be a member of the VVOC.

Here's a close-up of the OLD clip style...

..and a picture of the new clips from Adrian...

The seal comes in metre lengths that you simply cut to the correct fit and is designed for the HC viva range. The clips are actually reproduction's of the ones used on the HB viva range as Adrian kindly informed me that that original HC seals were put on the car's (when new) using large, expensive machines and as such, it is not possible to re-use or re-install the same type of clip!

The HB ones work, but can be fiddly to get them to grip the rubber and the metal. You need to make yourself a little hooked strip of metal to use as a tool to help you attach the clips with enough force to make them stay put!

I found, you have to gently hold the glass back (wound down) to install the 2 or 3 towards the back end of the door. It would be easier if you were to remove the glass, but I couldn't be bothered!

Unfortunately, my car is having a custom exhaust put on this week, otherwise I would have taken a good close up of the seal in-situ for you. Rest assured though, that the seals from Adrian are top quality and the finish is perfect!

Here's a pic that shows the seals a bit if that's any help to you (window down though)...

Hope that helps!
Stu
1971 1159cc Vauxhall Firenza
Stu
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby batpoomonkey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 pm

So am I right in thinking that the new clip sandwiches the seal and door metal together? Does it just grip by the hooks mashing into the metal?

Cheers
batpoomonkey
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Stu » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm

The clip goes over the door metal & bottom part of the seal, yes.

Here's a crude cross-section showing one of the clips (in green) in position...

If you look back at the photo of the clip, you'll notice the turned in parts near the top opening. These are very sharp, and do a good job of gripping into the rubber (so well in fact, that it is quite hard to get back off) and binding into the metal. The fit is tight, so you just have to make sure you pull the clips firmly all the way up to secure the seal properly.
Stu
1971 1159cc Vauxhall Firenza
Stu
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration