New tyres - money well spent

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

New tyres - money well spent

Postby mazzo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Today, slightly later than anticipated, I got the new tyres.
155/80x13 Arrowspeed.

What a difference! Steering is miles lighter, turns easily.

Not only that, but they sorted my exhaust out for free! It was incorrectly assembled and was fouling the spare wheel recess. So they heated it up with oxy and set it correctly. No more annoying banging!

£100 for 4 new tyres, inc balancing and disposal of old ones.

They couldn't have been more helpful, so I am happy to recommend Humphries (at least the one in Reading) who keep on getting my business because their prices are good and they do their best to help.

I didn't manage to get any Rostyles, so they are on the original steel rims with the hubcaps and trim. Looks alright in the end. Might even keep it that way.

1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Arrowspeeds are quite a hard compound too if memory serves. Used to have some on the gold SL way back when.

Fantastic in the warm and dry, not so good in the cold and wet. Nice for side ways action if I felt so inclined, even in with only 1256cc to play with.

Nice and cheap though. Think I might try Humpties again next time I need rubber.

Say, Mazzo, you going to Luton?
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby mazzo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi Dan

Yes, I have cleared it with "she who must be obeyed". Not too far down the road for us either!

Your comments about wet tyre grip with those Arrowspeeds. It was torrential when I came out of Humphries, thunder and lightning, the works.

Took it a bit carefully because I know new tyres have a compound on them that stops them sticking to the mould, so can be slippy. Just taking it easy and enjoying the (quiet) ride.

Mind you, got some Westlakes on the other car, and boy do they slide in the wet.

I forgot to mention, I had a ding in the wheel rim and they sorted that out too.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration