The fun has begun (again!)new update 11/08/08

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby bodyworx » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:38 am

vman wrote:hi, car looks verry well' health 2 enjoy it ' how did you put on the back arches , are you going 2 lower the car ' and what about blacking out the glass on the sides' what kind of rims are they vman

Cheers VMan,
in the pics car has absolutely nothing in it ,,no engine/box/ nowt!.
It will drop a fair old bit once its fully loaded again, but no intentions of dropping it (much) :roll: .
Not gonna do the window tints either, not worth the hassle from the police.
Rims are 10" wellers (which might change to a nice new set of 11" Revolutions if I get the money together soon :wink: ).

How did I put the arches on ??
trade secret LOL :wink: , lets just say they wont ever come back off and I can physically lift the shell by them..!)car has been fully retubbed in steel to take up to a 12" rim on the back as well 8)
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

trade secret

Postby vman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:10 pm

hi , what would it take to tell how the arches were done ' i have an old nail kit and i would put it on if i could get a mate to tell me how it is done if you want me to sign a confidential act :lol: iwould do so. if you want to e-mail me the instructions, so that no-one else knows all the better. :lol: I think the revolution rims would be the way to go!
vman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: trade secret

Postby bodyworx » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:27 pm

vman wrote:hi , what would it take to tell how the arches were done ' i have an old nail kit and i would put it on if i could get a mate to tell me how it is done if you want me to sign a confidential act :lol: iwould do so. if you want to e-mail me the instructions, so that no-one else knows all the better. :lol: I think the revolution rims would be the way to go!

Im only messing with you, ive got nothing to hide !

Basically its all down to PREPARATION before you start.

Front wings are easy , plenty of access, mark up and trim off the excess original wing leaving enough to bond on the new panel, grind back the steel wing giving a good 'key' for the bond.
Fit the wing panel and when your happy with the position, hold in place with a couple of self tappers.
Mark your edge where both meet, take panel off, put sealer/ bond onto steel panel, refit fibreglass panel and self tapper back on and leave until fully cured out (2 days normally).
When its dry, trim off excess bond, grind both panels this time and apply two layers of fibreglass matting over the new joints . let it dry and start blending the panels together with fibreglass and then filler to your desired shape (a bit of artistic licence is allowed here!):wink:

REARS. (the hard bit!!!!!!!!!!!)
Cut out rear arches to the top level of the original wheel tub, and make sure its flat to allow extending outwards. Make a new fill panel to connect inner and outer arches and wheeltub again and weld in place, fit up new rear panel, mark the quarter panel where it wll be bonded on , and grind to key.
Do the same as the fronts to secure.

Fabricate new rear wheel tubs to extent out to the NEW outer arch lip.
weld and seal in place, bond to new outer arch to keep it secure and water tight.
then its just a load of filling and rubbing down to get the shapes you want.

its not the hardest job in the world, just VERY time consuming (and tedious when it gets to the rubbing down )

good luck
if you need any help or advise ,gimme a shout :wink:
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

arches

Postby vman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 pm

go man .thanks i might have a go now at mime ;now that i no their help out their .if i get over 2 billing this year i buy u a paint' if you get a set of revolution, would you sell them ones, i am looking 4 a set of deep dish rims ,hard 2 get nice 1s ,or if you can get 2 sets of revolution and you only want 1 set let us know :D thanks agan :D
vman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: arches

Postby bodyworx » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:18 am

vman wrote:go man .thanks i might have a go now at mime ;now that i no their help out their .if i get over 2 billing this year i buy u a paint' if you get a set of revolution, would you sell them ones, i am looking 4 a set of deep dish rims ,hard 2 get nice 1s ,or if you can get 2 sets of revolution and you only want 1 set let us know :D thanks agan :D

I can still get a new set of 11x13 revolution 2 piece split rims with Hoosier tyres for £1250+vodka &tonic(VAT) .maybe not the first choice of tyre, but its hard to get anything to cover a rim that big without getting slicks
Can also still get them in 9x13 AND 10x13
You need to get them redrilled slightly(well the holes slightly widened) and change the studs and wheel bolts to Ford (12mm),
The original Viva studs (7/16") wont take the extra strain and will snap ,,,,,,,not recommended :cry:
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:50 am

Hi

FYi, the widest street legal tyre you can currently get (i think) is make by Kumho, and is a 235/45r13, Ecsta V70A This is designed for a 9" rim, but will push to a 10" rim.
You can get a 240/570r13 Wet pattern racing tyre (Ecsta W700) that will fit to an 11" rim, but it is a competition tyre only, and not street legal. Also will only last a weekend!!

Please, if you find anything wider for a 13" rim that is street legal, please drop a post on here. If I ever get round to doing my narrowed axle, I want some Big boots!

Cheers
Tony (HA21)

PS, LOVE the estate - what a shape! 8)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby carmad » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:43 am

just read this thread from the start looking very good :wink:
carmad
Area Rep

Postby bodyworx » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:25 am

Well suppose its time for a wee update, its been a while!.

From the last update, engine and box is finally in and mounted up, waiting for cylinder head to be finished and then bolted up .
Brake servo issue 'finally' resolved, it now lives 6 inches further forward from original position, but looks right ,so I can live with that :wink: .

All the suspension arms are now polybushed ,slight problem with 1 top wishbone bolt being seized, but apart from that, all done.
New AVO adjustables now fitted as well (what a difference :shock: , stiffer than a stiff thing :D :wink: )
new discs and callipers on :wink:
New rear axle is now rebuilt and overhauled, need new adjusters and its ready to be fitted.

Just leaves a propshaft, and an exhaust and it will be time to see if the monster lives and moves again!.

The rest is all rebuild and replace stuff ie brake pipes,carpets etc, so shouldnt be too long now I hope, need a few miles on it before Louden castle and Billing to sort out any bugs, roll on summer !
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

back arch

Postby vman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:38 pm

hi could you kell me what did you used to bond the new arch{ kit }to the new tub and what did you used to put it on. mines is going on to a firenza and when you open the boot you would see the bolts is their any other to stick them on . do you fill them up with fome thanks pete
vman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: back arch

Postby bodyworx » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:58 am

vman wrote:hi could you kell me what did you used to bond the new arch{ kit }to the new tub and what did you used to put it on. mines is going on to a firenza and when you open the boot you would see the bolts is their any other to stick them on . do you fill them up with fome thanks pete

Dont know what your wings are like Pete (panels or full wings?), but the only way to 'properly' fix them is to bond and glass matt.
Mark out where they are going to fit to the body, grind metal panel back with a soft stone pad about 2" either side, put a few fixing holes in until bond has set (then remove!), then bond the new panel to the car using strips of fibreglass matt and resin over the joints, its the only wat to stop it cracking/sinking.
I prefer Sikaflex to bond the panels initially,bit messy but worth it, when its cured,,,,its bulletproof!
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration