Gear Box Mounting

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Gear Box Mounting

Postby Andrew Morris » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:55 pm

ive started to remove the gear box mounting plate that bolts to the chassis rail on my late 1256 hc but found the bolts too tight.Then after some wd 40 they still woulndt shift.I then had another go at freeing them and at last it moved,Sadly the bolts stayed in place the chassis rail just fell to pieces in my hand and all over the drive.

So i now have the mounting plate off but attached to the remains if the chassis rail.

Do repair sections exixt? :cry:
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 am

Probably not, if they do, Ive never seen one...

I think your best bet would be to bend one up from some sheet, wont be too hard to do neatly, its a straight box section.

Chassis rails usually rot from the inside out so Id be tempted to have a look at the rest of it. Dont go poking too hard though or you might not like what you find!!

scott
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:32 pm

i think a repair section was available as its a common rot spot but chances of getting one now are slim to none,
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:19 pm

There were a couple of HB repair sections for the gearbox mount at last years VBOA autojumble, they looked very similar to the HC chassis rails. Also one of the panel makers (Veng, I think) used to make U-sections in popular chassis rail sizes. But it's probably just as easy to make a repair in heavy plate bent to suit.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Restoration