Wheel stud hole problem

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Wheel stud hole problem

Postby phil dawson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi,
Have just purchased a set of droopsnoot/sportshatch wheels off of e-bay and on inspection of them noticed that the stud holes on one of the wheels has been worn and went an oval shape rather than round. Someone suggested getting tapered washers. Has anyone got any experience with these and do you know where I could get some? I dont suppose welding and then re-boring is an option is it? Any other suggestions welcome.
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Proper Avon wheelnuts have tapered washers as part of the nut anyway. There are some companies that will repair alloy wheels and might be able to build up enough weld on the affected area that it can be rebored, but I guess it depends on how bad it is.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Firenzaboy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Will be making some Tapered Washers for the Droopsnoot Avon Alloys anytime soon,out of 316 Marine Grade Stainless Steel - Looking at £2 each (so 32 quid for a set of 16 and i'll throw in the P+P for nowt!).
Let me know if you're interested (will also be making the nuts as well at some point (set of 16 nuts and washers for £80).
Dave
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Phil, you can get them repaired, I had a wheel done a few years back, they built up with weld and machined it to match another wheel I had, cost me £60 though... :D the guy said it was a nightmare, trying to get a decent enough weld in the hole...

I havent tried the tapered washers, cant see any reason why the wouldnt work...

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi, Thanks for the replies.
Can you tell me if the tapered washers will work with the nuts that I have on my standard 2 litre firenza or do I require special nuts for the droopsnoot/sportshatch wheels to fit?
You also mention the Avon wheels. Is this what I have bought? They are stamped on the inside of the rims with " 6J R13 12", "25 V 116", "910 10 724" & "Made in Belgium 74".
Cheers,
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi, Thanks for the replies.
Can you tell me if the tapered washers will work with the nuts that I have on my standard 2 litre firenza or do I require special nuts for the droopsnoot/sportshatch wheels to fit?
You also mention the Avon wheels. Is this what I have bought? They are stamped on the inside of the rims with " 6J R13 12", "25 V 116", "910 10 724" & "Made in Belgium 74".
Cheers,
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Firenzaboy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:38 pm

They certainly sound like the Avon Wheels to me,as fitted to the Droopsnoot Firenza and the Sportshatch models.
Not knowing what nuts you already have on your car,i have no idea! :roll:
The following thread that Danny started on thursday may help?

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/v ... php?t=8147

There's info on here as to where you can get chromed wheel nuts/washers from,and a bit of info regarding my wheel nuts and tapered washers.
Hope this helps.
Dave
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Dave, May require some of those tapered washers from you and possibly the nuts too. Will check and see what is on my car when I go round to my mates garage.
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 am

I'd be very surprised if the wheelnuts you already have will be suitable. The Avon wheelnuts have a thinner section which fits into the hole in the wheel, then the taper washer locates between the taper in the wheel and a shoulder on the nut.

That said, I used to use "Cosmic" locking wheelnuts on my Sportshatch when it was last on the road, and they were from a standard Magnum without any kind of alloys. Perhaps the other three nuts were helping the location of the wheel.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby phil dawson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Probably a stupid question but I assume that the diameter and threading of the studs are all the same on the vauxhall HC range?
Cheers for all your help so far.
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Restoration