Floor and Axle paint ??

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Floor and Axle paint ??

Postby xwv2300 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 am

Anyone got any tips or recomendations for painting rear axle and trailing arms and chassis/underbody.
Was thinking smooth hammerite but been told it chips easy and its also a bit expencive
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Firenzaboy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:51 pm

I can strongly recommend "POR 15" rust preventative paint from Frost.
Amazing stuff :)

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... cat=POR-15

Bit on the pricey side,but ya get what ya pay for!
Dave
1971 Vauxhall Firenza SL in Orange
1975 HP Firenza Droopsnoot
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Ive found hammerite to be pretty good, best to go for the likes of b&q own brand stuff, its the same but cheaper...

Id also recommend spraying a cavity wax on the inside of your trailing arms and anywhere else you cant easily get to.

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 am

I'd second the vote for POR-15, just put some of that on the plates I've done in my Sportshatch. I also have heard that Hammerite is very prone to chipping. For the suspension components you might also want to consider power coating - I just had my front subframe done (just the frame itself, not the arms etc.) and it's lovely.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rostyles » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 pm

On the underbody I tend to strip off the aged underseal using a blowtorch and scraper. A long crappy job. Then I use wirewool and petrol/parafin to remove any excess. Then I give the whole lot a good coat of zinc primer. Then spray the whole underside including the wheel arch tubs and inside wings with 3M stonechip using a schutz gun. After that you could spray body colour but I tend just to go for satin black. A bit overkill but very durable and looks great.

I zinc prime and just brush paint black enamel on the axle, prop and all other suspension components.

This all being a very cheap and effective way but it is very time consuming. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and wear a mask, last time I did an underbody strip in the workshop I felt really poo for a couple of days.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
rostyles
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Allready removed all underseal and cleaned surface rust areas , brush primed using an etch primer, like the look of the por 15 stuff but will the top coat work over the paint allready there, reading the info looks like they want you to start with bare metal then use all their products, metal clean, primer , etc , good marketing i know but i only want the top coat.
axle is shot blasted and primed with some hammerite red oxide i had half a tin of.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration