Firenza

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:00 am

good idea Phil painting in there, just dont do what I did and paint waxoyl in the channels because on a hot day it runs and stains the headlining.....poop.

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Scott,
Thanks for that as that was just what I was going to do.
Need to try and spray in some hammerite instead.

Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Firenza (Update)

Postby phil dawson » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi,
Thought I would give an update on the firenza.
Although I had the welding etc done prior to its MOT earlier this year, it has always been my intention to strip the car down and have it resprayed.
Anyway, I couldnt use my mate's works garage to have the car laying in bits for however long so I was on the look out for somewhere to store the car and work on it as and when I can. Wasnt having much luck with adverts etc for a garage until I spoke to a guy who I used to be at school with and owns a local company. He had an old warehouse on the outskirts of the town used for storage and at one end of the shed there was a raised platform with its own access door and an old office!!! Went to have a look at it and bingo...it was perfect for the job. Wind and water tight, insulated with power and lighting. A deal was struck (a very good deal indeed) so now I have somewhere to store and work on my car.
If you have read any of my previous threads, you will know that I dont have much experience in restoring old cars...in fact make that NO experience!!!!! Anyway, last weekend, I started hauling off bits from the car...going to be a case of learn as I go along sort of thing with loads of questions etc. I have removed the doors (bought a pair of better condition doors off a seller on another forum), removed the bonnet which is in not too bad condition with the exception of the front inner edge (considering buying a new fibreglass one though), off with the bumpers, all the lights, grille and taken out all the seats and rear interior cards.
Ive also got a pair of fibreglass wings that I will fit.
Next plan is to start stripping the paint from the car. Not going for blasting or chemical dipping so looks like it will be paint stripper and mechanical sanding methods. Anyone got any tips on what is the best products to use?
Also, as this will probably be a slow process, is there some product that I should put onto any bare metal prior to the car going for final preperation and painting?
Any tips or recomendations greatly accepted.
Have attached a couple pics of shed, car and my spares store (old office in shed)
Phil.
Attachments
spares store.JPG
spares store.JPG (65.7 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
firenza.JPG
firenza.JPG (65.11 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
shed.JPG
shed.JPG (90.9 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 am

Nice lock up Phil , regarding the paint stripping - Id go for the usual paint remover method (one panel at a time) use decent thick rubber gloves and plenty of old rags to get rid of the messy goo !! Usual 80 / 60 grit paper etc , probably best done by hand with a rubber block , as it tends to clog up on an orbital sander . But if u got a decent air fed orbital then give it a go. Once down to bare metal u can assess any trouble areas .
Look up my comments on Bilt Hambers rust treatment proucts in genera discussions (brilliant) .
I would go for doing it a panel at atime - strip to bare metal - address any rust / dents etc - then get it painted back with decent zinc primer ASAP .
If the car is to be laid up until final respray then primer should be ok , but remember that primers absorb moisture , so if its a while off from total respray or you intend to use the car , then probably best to give a few coats of top coat colour . Many people use this method as a "guide coat" which will eventually be flatted back before final respray.
Lets be honest - how many of us have the facility to completely strip then paint the whole car in a reasonable time in order to prevent the usual fine layer of rust that tends to form on the panels if left unprotected ?
Best to start with roof and work down (if using paint stripper !!)
Try and keep the area warm when painting - this is pretty obvious really , as moisturei n the air can get trapped between the panel and paint and give a blistering effect (not good) .
Ive got one of those little electric fan heaters which i focus on the panel , plus a hot air gun to give localised heat - its also usefull to quick dry filler etc.
Hope this helps ,
Cheers - Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby phil dawson » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:46 pm

Cheers Jon,
Is there any specific type of paint remover required or do you just use the type you can buy in the DIY stores for general paint stripping for household paints etc?
Also, I read on another web site about some discs that are good for paint removal. They are a poly abrasive disc that you use after you first apply some paint stripper to soften the paint. Any ideas?
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:30 am

Phil, I would advise against using paint stripper before using the poly carbide disc...it will just spray paint stripper everywhere and clog the disc. :D

those poly carbide discs are very good, just dont press hard with them as it just wears them out faster. theyre quite expensive but they make a better and quicker job of stripping paint than nitromors type stuff. theres nothing wrong with paint sripper mind, I just find it really messy!!

If you need a hand, I can always pop along.... :lol:

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:15 am

Cheers Scott, I suppose that the softened paint and stripper would fly all over the place. The guy who wrote about the discs on another forum claimed that they didnt clog up at all and the whole job was done very quickly (www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-stripping)
Anyway, are these discs quite easy to find in DIY shops/ car accessory stores? May have a look in a couple of local stores today, at least get me away from eating turkey and drinking beer for a while!!!!
Back to my question about paint stripper....do you need a specific type for car paint or just the normal stuff you would buy for household paint stripping?
Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby frankengeep » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Nitomors do an "Automotive Paints" stripper which I've only seen in Halfrauds.
I have used it and the normal (?) stuff recently on alloys to remove paint and lacquer.
Couldn't say one was better than the other.
Keep an eye in Aldi & Lidl for offers.

Boyd :)
Please don't sell me a Viva. I'll just ruin it.
2.6L Frankengeep, C22o cdi, 230 te
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... re%20jeep/
frankengeep
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Cheers Boyd, I'll look out for the bargain priced stuff then :lol:
Didnt check out the stores for discs today but went to the shed instead and got a bit more done on the car. Removed the dash which took me ages...some of those nuts are in a right awkward place.
Anyway, back to the eating and more beer as got a 40th birthday party to attend tonight :roll:
Phil.
Attachments
Firenza 27.12.08. - 3jpg.JPG
Firenza 27.12.08. - 3jpg.JPG (71.87 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Autosave in inverurie has the discs, thats where I get mine. you can sometimes get them on ebay...

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration