Firenza

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Firenza

Postby phil dawson » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Months later and I'm glad to say that the engine is back in its rightful place...in the bay.
Still need to connect up gearbox/bellhousing and some other bits and bobs, getting a bit nearer though.

As for the fuel tank gasket, I saw some Chevette ones on e-bay and they looked about right and the description of distance between bolt holes was spot on so I gave it a try and bingo, fitted perfectly.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Bellhousing, gearbox, propshaft all re-fitted at last.
Radiator and hoses back into engine bay and trying to get everything re-connected.
As I've changed from the standard inlet manifold & carbs to a pair of Dellortos & suitable manifold a few things are different now so got a couple of questions.

1)Hose from brake servo to manifold - is this the correct connection on my new manifold? (see pic 1)

2)Breather hose from cam box which branches into 2 hoses, one small and one larger (see pic 2). The smaller hose I'm assuming fits onto the inlet manifold next to connection for brake servo hose? (see pic 3).
Where or what do I do with the larger hose? (see pic 4 on next post) ...can only post 3 pics at a time!!

More questions to come.

Regards,
Phil
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:09 pm

pic 4 from last post attached.

Next question: Lower hose from heater box went to a fitting on old manifold, I'm assuming that I need to drill a hole and tap the new manifold at this position (see pic 5) so I can use the old fitting and connect hose to it?
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:28 pm

More questions.......this car will get back on the road eventually and you may have guessed, I'm not a mechanical genius!!

Coil: Right, the coil was bolted onto the top of the original inlet manifold, the new manifold has no such arrangement for attaching. Will it be okay to strap it onto top of new manifold in approx position as pic 6 or should I re-locate it to bulkhead per pic 7?

Electronic Ignition: Best position for fixing? I thought next to fusebox - pic 8. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Phil
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:23 pm

The servo pipe is connected to the location you show. The engine breather, most people usually fit an alloy catch tank and feed the breather into that. The catch tank then vents to the open air through a small filter. I'm a cheapskate - so my breather pipe routes down towards the starter and terminates in a plastic drinks bottle sitting between the starter and the block. This vents freely through the gap around the pipe in the neck of the bottle.

You need to be sure that the oil spray from the cam lobes doesn't find it's way up into the pipe or you will have a lot of oil in the catch tank. The standard steel cam cover has a baffle plate and gauze strainer, most alloy covers have no such luxury, so a plastic pot scrubber stufffed up the pipe effectively catches most of the oil droplets and lets it run back into the engine, the pipe needs to be vertical for about 6 inches above the cam cover for this to work.

Coil and electronic box- where you propose is OK in dry weather but in the wet when you open th bonnet they will get drenched with the runoff. I notice that you've relocated the washer bottle. A better location for the sparks would be mounted side by side on a thin alloy or plywood plate spaced an inch or so above the inner wing where the bottle used to sit. It would also hide the unsightly welded patches you have there.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Forgot about your heater question. My Dellorto manifold has the temp sender mounted where you have connected the pipe from the water pump and the heater pipe taken off where your sender unit is mounted. That leaves the pump connection to be blanked off at the pump. This arrangement seems to be widely accepted and works OK.

I would try to build up the badly corroded radiator hose take off on the thermostat cover with JB Weld before trying to get it to seal.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby phil dawson » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, most of it makes sense to me but the bit about the heater hose needs some clarification.
1972nail wrote:Forgot about your heater question. My Dellorto manifold has the temp sender mounted where you have connected the pipe from the water pump and the heater pipe taken off where your sender unit is mounted. That leaves the pump connection to be blanked off at the pump. This arrangement seems to be widely accepted and works OK.

I would try to build up the badly corroded radiator hose take off on the thermostat cover with JB Weld before trying to get it to seal.

I'm assuming that you mean the temp sender mounted where I have proposed to drill/tap the hose from the heater and put the hose from heater to where I have put the temp sender at the moment i.e. vice versa to position at the moment? Also, my hose from water pump goes to the top connection of the heater box with the lower one going to the thermostat cover?

Regarding the coil and elec ignition unit......ermm, I haven't relocated the w/screen wash bottle as yet, just not re-fitted it over the "unsightly welded patches" that you correctly spotted. I was going to make a bracket to hold the bottle on there, held in place with self tappers but can relocate it to other inner wing or maybe put coil and elec ignition to passenger side inner wing? On second thoughts, prob best to leave washer bottle on driver side and electrics to passenger side as lead for coil won't be long enough for driver side.

Thanks again for your help.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:22 am

I wasn't going to upload a general engine bay shot until I got some bits cleaned up, but here it is for now with most of the dirty stuff edited out:

As you can see, my heater hose goes to where you propose to drill and tap, and the sender is on a casting to the front of that. My guess is that the heater take-off is there to allow the standard heater hose to be used - these are DSG-supplied hoses but of the proper moulded shape. On some manifolds there is a pipe from the top of the water pump to the fitting between cylinders three and four on the manifold - this doesn't have one, so, like David's, mine is blocked off at the water pump end.

This manifold came with a coil mounting, but on another car I fitted carbs that didn't have one - I suspect this was because this manifold did have the water pipe outlet to connect to the water pump, and due to casting shape it used a vertical outlet rather than the banjo-style one that the Stromberg manifold uses, which would have brought the pipe up through the coil position. On that car, I seem to recall I moved the coil to the top of the bulkhead, though I was annoyed when a garage I took it into for some unrelated work saw fit to drill holes in there to mount it. I would probably try to fashion some kind of mount where you have shown it - perhaps you could make a plate and use a couple of the inlet manifold studs as mountings for it.

My Lumenition is placed where you propose to put yours and (so far) it hasn't had any trouble. When I got the car it was mounted near the nearside bonnet hinge. But you do have to be careful opening the bonnet if there's water standing on it - open it slowly so that the bulk of it runs onto the top cover rather than opening it quickly. I've always thought it's a daft place to put the fusebox on that basis, though the cover protects it. Also note I don't take mine out much in the rain. Or at all, as I come to think of it.

You can see the breather I have on this, just a suitably-sized K&N filter. Prior to that, I had a "vent to atmosphere" system (i.e. nothing connected) which had the side-effect of allowing me to see whether much was getting out of there, as it would land on the inside of the bonnet and be immediately visible. When I got the car, it just had a long piece of pipe that ended down near the starter motor.

Also note that on the servo outlet you have a second, smaller outlet which would connect to the distributor and enable the vacuum advance - with Dellortos on a standard manifold you'll have to not connect that, so either get another fitting that doesn't have that take-off, or run a small length of pipe and block it off, so there isn't a big vacuum leak. Someone else can explain this better than me, but basically the vacuum on that manifold (or pretty much any Dellorto one that I've seen) will only be "sucking" when cylinder one is on the intake, so for that time it will provide some ignition advance, then for the other three strokes it will not. This will give you erratic timing and a nasty knocking noise from the distributor as the vacuum unit is activated and then dropped each time the engine rotates. The only way you could use vacuum advance with these carbs is to somehow find a way to balance out the vacuum across all four intake tracts.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:28 am

phil dawson wrote:Also, my hose from water pump goes to the top connection of the heater box with the lower one going to the thermostat cover?

See my photo above - the top one goes via the water control valve and into the manifold near the thermostat, the lower one goes to the water take-off on the elbow that comes off the water pump and continues down to the bottom radiator hose. I'm only reasonably sure of this, but my assurance comes from the shaped pipes which would only fit on that way.

I think some early HCs don't have the water control valve, so I'm not sure if that would alter the pipe locations as well.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby phil dawson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Cheers for all the info, haven't been back down to the garage as yet but hopefully over the next few days I'll get on with some more of the work and check out a few more bits.

Hope you have all had a nice xmas.

Regards,

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration