HB

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HB

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:11 am

Finally got my new toy home yesterday after a long trip to Essex, I ended up being recovered home by the AA... :shock:

I thought it was the head gasket but when I took the head off I found a holed piston!!

The cars in good condition, it needs a respray as the original paint is starting to peel off in places. Theres no rust, all the seams on the arches are solid, but it desperatly need new windscreen rubbers. Ive seen some bad rubbers but these are the worst Ive ever seen!!!I was scared to drive to fast with the windows open incase the rear screen fell out!

I wanted to get the engine swapped today as I want to use the car but theres been a few problems...The engine mounts are well past theyre best,the clutch was covered in oil, the rads got a small hole and I think I knocked the woodruf key into the sump when I put the bottom pulley back on...hey ho....tomorrows another day. :D

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Looks a nice car. Like the wheels. Shame about the engine, why's it got an electric fan?
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby phil dawson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 pm

Cool looking car Scott.
Was that the one that was on e-bay or just a similar one?

Phil.
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:27 pm

nope, the one on fleabay was a four door, I got this off the retro-rides forum, it came fron essex....just round the corner then. :shock:

Dunno why its got an electric fan, its wired straight to a switch too, no relay. tut tut.

I cant get it running as Im having problems with my dizzy, I got it converted and reconditioned by H&H a while back, tried it and it doesnt work...the workmanship is shocking.The centre part that triggers the magnetic sensor is off centre and is close for 2 and too far away to give 4 sparks, only 2. I paid alot of money for that so Im not very impressed... :roll:

had another wee play today, took out the seats and the carpet to find a nice clean floor.the seats arent going back in as theyre well past theyre best! Ive got half leather seats from an MR2 that I might fit until somthing more suitable turns up...

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Has anyone got any idea as to what the paint code is for this? I cant find the trim code plate on it, no Idea what the colour is!!
I want to paint it soon as I can as the paint is peeling in places and wont be long before rust starts to appear! :shock:

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

HB

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Your HB is the same colour as mine, peacock blue. The paint code is, i think 2bl. It should be on a plate behind the nearside headlamp, on the inner wing
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks johnboy, the plate isnt there, Ive only got the chassis number plate...Means I can order some paint now!! :D

Did a bit today, started to strip it for a bit of paint, spent more time looking at the thing than actually doing anything. :lol:

Havent found any major rust yet. 8)

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby junkyarddog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Nice viva,love the wheels :D
Just one more turn should do it....
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Nice one!

Postby VivaPete » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:56 pm

Yeah great wheels there. I must say-get rid of that awful Viva bootlid badge.
Great paintwork and body and those seats look like they'll be cool.
NWhere was this kept until you owned it?
Did you customise the bonnet and grill black?
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:25 am

Cheers people!, the bonnet, wing tops and grill were black when I got it. when I paint it I might spray them black again, dont know if Ill like it blue...

Ive been lucky with this car I got it from a guy in essex so it hasnt seen the same amount of road salt as scottish cars do. Its all original panels,theres some surface rust but no puffed up seams or hidden nasties! Its not like my HC which turned out to have skin sills and 4 rear arches...

oh, and I agree about the badge! :wink:
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Restoration