HB

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Many thanks to Steff, who sent me a replacement dizzy.Cheers mate!! 8)
Got the car running today, but it wont go into gear, just a horrible ratcheting sound, ah well, engine and box out tomorrow.... :?
Did a bit of bodywork today aswell, got rid of most of the dents and started to rub the car down. The paints meant to be here mid week so Im aiming to be ready for paint by then.

This is slowly turning into another restoration....
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Found out why it wouldnt go into gear...the support for the release bearing on the input shaft had sheared off. not good. So I spent all day changing the gearbox, its all back in now and running. even got gears now!! :D

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:31 am

Heres what Ive been up to lately...Got tired of driving around in a patchwork quilt so I decided it was time to do the respray.

I had to strip the bootlid and roof back to bare metal as there was a bit of surface rust, gave it a coat of Kurust, should be the last I see of that!
I planned on doing it in one weekend, but as soon as I started spraying primer it started to rain!!! :shock:

So it was a mad rush to get the garage cleared and get the car in!

Its pi##ing it down again today so It looks like Ill be getting the train to work on monday... :cry:

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:06 pm

PAINTED!!! :D

Its not exactly a show condition paint job, could probably do just as well with a brush but hey, nothing some 1200 and polish wont cure!! :D

Ive decided Im never ever painting a car outside again...its no fun. everything a rush and weather dependant. I painted it this morning in a rush as I thought the wind was going to get worse as the day went on....nope, as soon as Id finished it dropped right off. :evil:

Theres plenty on it at least, but its really orange peely and covered in overspray, here comes a week of sanding and no fingerprints!! 8)

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:10 pm

bit of progress on the car today, Ive been rubbing it down over the last few days and got the mop on it today, it came up really well!! Ive still got the bonnet to do,hopefully get that done by the weekend.

what do people think?

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:22 am

It's great! I really like that retro rally/racing look. Discreet styled with the wheels and matt black hood. Go for a rear bumper without overriders and quarter bumbers at the front for that clean but "mean" rally look!! :D
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby coggers » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:08 am

MAGNUM 2300 wrote: Go for a rear bumper without overriders and quarter bumbers at the front

Yeah I'd agree with that , was thinking the same when I saw the rear shot.

Nice colour , proper stance and the bluedots are waaay cool too..
coggers
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks guys!! I like the quarter bumper idea with no overiders, wasnt too keen on them anyway. I just need to find a standard pair of bumpers... :lol:

Im in two minds wether to paint the bonnet black or do it colour, I think it might look a bit chavvy as thats what you see on corsas and saxo's to make it look like carbon...or it might just look like a GT fake... :roll:

Its good to have it back on the road finally, Ive got most of the bits for my engine conversion now so thats next on the cards after I sort the interior out!!

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Coggers, you mentioned the bluedots...what are they for?? I cant think of any reason for them. :?:
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm

opelscott22 wrote:Thanks guys!! I like the quarter bumper idea with no overiders, wasnt too keen on them anyway. I just need to find a standard pair of bumpers... :lol:

Im in two minds wether to paint the bonnet black or do it colour, I think it might look a bit chavvy as thats what you see on corsas and saxo's to make it look like carbon...or it might just look like a GT fake... :roll:

Its good to have it back on the road finally, Ive got most of the bits for my engine conversion now so thats next on the cards after I sort the interior out!!

scott

Paint the bonnet matt BLACK !!! Continiue with the retro-rally style. It also look tops together with the black spokes on the wheels. Don mind the chavs... they weren't born in the late 60ies when fast cars had to have black bonnets!! :lol: Also.. don't use chromes inserts (paint them) on the windows. Good & mean looking with black details on the blue.
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration