Project: Lotus Viva 2200

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Project: Lotus Viva 2200

Postby Johan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:19 pm

I've been on the forum for some time now and a few of you might have an idea what I have been working the last 10 months. Should have started a thread long time ago, but it never happened :oops:

The car is a 1970 Viva GT which i got my hands on about six years ago. I am doing a complete rebuild together with some major changes. One of them is changing the pig iron powerplant to a Lotus 907 twin cam. Engine rebuild has just started. I am using a crankshaft from a 2.3 litre FE Victor to increase the capacity to 2.2 litres. Bottom end will be balanced and fitted with high compression forged pistons and H-profile con rods. Top will be a slightly ported head fitted with 104 profile cams. Valves and valve seats will be of stainless steel as I am planning to run it on E85. Stiffer valve spring will be fitted to minimize risk to valve float on high revs. :twisted:

Behind this a 5 speed Getrag salvaged from a VX 490.

First a picture taken years ago, jacked up at the front end to mount the gear box. Did not come to very much more that time. Sourced a grill as it came with a standard HB one, painted black (not pretty) and recelled the radiator but then it was pushed away inside a barn.Image

More pictures will come, be patient :wink:
Johan
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. Especially running it on E85 ethanol. More power for less money!! :twisted:

BTW... would the Victor crank be stronger in the first place than the Lotus one??
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva2300 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I am looking to do the same thing with my snoot. I have a 907 engine from a 78 Elite (160bhp) & am wanting to fit the 2300 crank. What has to be changed to fit this crank Johan? Also what mods to the sump pan are needed to fit on Vauxhall crossmember?
Paul
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:08 pm

The crank fits without any modifications at all. What you need to do is either change to shorter con rods, or pistons with the wrist pin closer to the crown. These pistons fit with the standard con rods and can be ordered at two different compression ratios: http://www.jhps.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... y_Code=ENG

Note that he also supplies the stroker crank, for which he charges $1124 + shipping, vat, customs and all other stuff that migth add when ordering from the united states. A lot to be saved by using the Vauxhall crank which they will probably throw after you at any local scrap yard 8)

I also know of a guy in the UK who has pistons with a compression ratio at 11.2 to 1. These will also fit with the standard con rods.

I don't know what the oil pan on the Elite engine looks like, but if it is similiar to that on my Jensen Healey engine it won't fit in a viva. The JH engine was mounted 15 cm further back compared to a viva so the oil sump is much bigger. A good tig welder should have no problems in modifying the sump.
Johan
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Johan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 pm

MAGNUM 2300 wrote:Sounds like an interesting project. Especially running it on E85 ethanol. More power for less money!! :twisted:

BTW... would the Victor crank be stronger in the first place than the Lotus one??

The fuel is much cheaper. But it comes with the cost of stainless steel valves and valve seats. The valves I purchased was about £300 together with bronze guides and stem seals. Valves seats and work will add to this.

I doubt that the Victor crank is stronger, dimensions are identical, except for the longer stroke. What differs is the con rods, the Victor ones are much weaker than the Lotus parts.
Johan
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration