Tips on repair panel forming?

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Tips on repair panel forming?

Postby neosi » Sat May 09, 2009 4:31 pm

ive been looking around for some repair panel for my hb for a while now, but i got anoyed at not finding any. so i thought i'd make some.
i cut a section from the rusty old wing that i took off, and started to form a repair section for the inner wing. so far its taken 3 hours to beat this into shape, but im fairly happy with what ive done, just needs a tidy and final fit before i weld it in!
anyone got any tips on how to form repair panels corectly, and make it a little easier?

any thoughts? any help is most welcome!
si
neosi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby StefanM » Sat May 09, 2009 10:42 pm

I think your work so far is way much better compared to those panels that is on the market so do not worry...........
Best parts is of course genuine parts but only available as complete inner wings.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby neosi » Sat May 09, 2009 11:32 pm

cheers, but the panel looks better in the photo. lol
i'll keep at it, hope fully will get it nice and straight!
this is the first time ive made a panel!
neosi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby junkyarddog » Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Nice work,
and using recycled metal too :D
just give it a good clean up before welding,
very impressive for a first go at panel work,
keep it up. :D
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby neosi » Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 am

thanks
ive got the general shape down, its just flating the hammer marks in the hard to get areas. it doesnt have to be perfect as its the front inner wing section. but i'd like to get it as close as i can.
i dont have access to pro panel tools. so far all ive used was a cheap panel hammer and a recycled lump of case hardend steel from an old machince tool which i found lying around outside work.
i'll keep at it and see what i can do!
neosi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Tips on repair panel forming?

Postby classicrazy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Si,
Have a look over on Retro Rides at this post "1962 Vauxhall Victor FB - Making Panels" started by a wizzard with metal "Tonybmw". The post developed into a tutorial on how to make your own panels, what equipment to use, etc. This man is a perfectionist and his work something to aspire to; there is much to be learned from the information he has so generously provided.
Andrew
classicrazy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Bleep » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:06 pm

:dito: As above, plus u can ask for his advice and he'll give it alround good guy :goodluck:
Bleep
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Pretty impresive for a first attempt - well done . There are plenty of things around the home that can be used to good effect for forming. I used our line post to get a good 90 degree curved bend when i made the inner wings on my car - just a bit of imagination and some basic hammers / dollys and decent snips normally does the trick.
I would recommend you use new steel or ensure that any recycled steel is comptetely free of any rust - otherwise all your hard work will result in a very poor "take" for the weld and possibly having to replace it in future due to the existing tin worm continuing its unstoppable quest to make a meal of our cars :(
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration