Re: 1964 Viva HA

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:38 am

Late reply but I think a Mazda V6 would fit in there quite nicely :-)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Al3x » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm

yoeddynz wrote:Late reply but I think a Mazda V6 would fit in there quite nicely :-)

Maybe, but I think it would be very tight for the steering with any V engine..
Anyway, i havent done anything to the car since the headgasket was blown! Its just standing outside the garage, and it probably will all winter long..
But who knows, maybe i totally smash the BMW turbo i am building right now, and end up with that engine in the vauxhall.. (?) :roll:
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Al3x » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Well, as i said in my last post I was also bulding a BMW turbo. Anyway I had it running for about one week before i blew the engine, three of the valveplates on the sixt cylinder were gone, the piston was also completely gone.. :roll:
I had also noticed that the whole rear suspension whould need changing, diff etc.. And I wanted it to be a cheap and fun car.. also the body is in a pretty bad condition, full of dents etc. I have bought a new engine for it, but now im thinking of maybe rebuilding the Vauxhall to fit the BMW engine, that already have good brakes, suspension etc. The rear suspension could need alittle work though, but its quite OK as it is. And a far bit more uniqe and fun to build a Viva with a BMW 6cylinder turbo engine, 0,5 bar of boost whould be more than enough in that car! I had 0.9 bar in the bmw, and that ran very well! I can only imagine what the same power whould do in a small viva. :mrgreen:
So now i need some advices from you guys, what do YOU think? should i go for the bmw or the viva? This is a viva forum so i guess most people will say viva? ;) For the viva I pretty much have all the parts to, just need to move the firewall a "few" inches and put a roll cage in, and yes, roll cage is a need!
Please help me decide this, i did some measuring and it really shouldnt be that far off! :)

//Alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Go for the Viva, its half way there already. If the BMW body isnt very good your going to spend time and money sorting that before any oily bits.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Al3x » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 pm

HBPeter wrote:Go for the Viva, its half way there already. If the BMW body isnt very good your going to spend time and money sorting that before any oily bits.

Peter

Yes, thats how om thinking too. As you say its half way there. And i really cant keep both cars, the vauxhall has alot of time and Money put in so i dont want to scrap it which is the option.. Then id rather scrap a stock e36 320 body.. :) thanks for thé answer!

//Alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Raypbyrne1959 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:52 pm

HASTANDARD wrote:Funny another member on the site is an australian living over in sweden at the moment niftynevins. :D

Hey I live in south Australia (Payneham South)
Id be interested to know where the scrap / breaker yard is in the Barossa?

Cheers :D
Raypbyrne1959
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby niftynevins » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi no worries PM me and I will let you know. Have you got full membership? If so I have posted pics of the HA and HB's up there in the breakers yard section. What have you got? I will be home in December for three months playing in the shed we should catch up.

Alex what's the latest with the HA?
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Al3x » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Hello! It sure was a while since i was here last time.. Sorry! :mrgreen:

Really nothing has happend, i decided to not put a bmw heart in the viva, i decided that its not worth trying to rescue that one.. Its going to go for scrap sometime!

So, the white one. Its been standing for almost 3 years, and with my brother buying and -50s Ford i started thinking more of maybe start using the viva as a summer daily driver. Some plans were made and i got More and more ancious to get the viva home to the garage and look it over so i could have it tested! :)
I actually drove it home last weekend, only problem was that the fanbelt broke halfway home, luckily had a new one with me!

I checked the brakes and lights, and i had it MOTd this thursday, with just some small things to fix, all thats left is adjusting the carb!

One problem though, wich was there before aswell, the engine is very noisy from the camchain, and if i adjust it its quiet for a short while before its noisy again.. I remember there is supposed to be a "improved" tensioner, but is it possible to find those anymore??

And where do i find oilfilters? I cant find any in Sweden so if i order from UK i want to buy more than just one.. :)

If i decide to go through with my plans i think it can be the only one like it, but we will see, nothing decided yet!

Hopefully someone have some input for me, and dont väte me for being away so long 8)

//Alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration