touching earthed metal (shocking?)

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

touching earthed metal (shocking?)

Postby grandas_shed » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:50 pm

i need to weld a patch in the floor of my classic car, but i need to be in the car whilst welding,

i cannot weld from under the car as i cannot get the car high off of the ground, but have been tould that it will pass the "MOT" if the patch is inside the car.

is there any thing i must look out for,
is it safe to be kneeling on the bare metal, or should i need to put some thing to kneel on.

also i have been told that i should disconnect the battery, is there any thing else on the car that i should look out for?
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ade » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:09 am

Dont worry you could lie accross the floor and you wont get a shock.
How are you welding arc or mig ? ,have you ever welded before ? And yes its a bit off a mith disconnecting the battery but its probably a good idea anyway
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 am

I wouldnt worry about getting a shock, Ive never had one...

Its a good idea to disconnect the battery on modern cars with an ecu as it can destroy them. not a problem on older cars though.

Ive also heard of alternator diode packs being done in be welding. Its never happened to me but Ive heard the stories!

So I wouldnt worry, weld away!! :D

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

weding

Postby vxmad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi if you dont want to disconect hte battrey just pull the plug on the alternator, I only do this if I am welding close to it but not if I am else where on the car. As for shocks as others have said weld away but take care if it is wet, as you know water and elec does not mix hope thi helps Steve
is there any cure for buying vauxhall cars
vxmad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: touching earthed metal (shocking?)

Postby midlands_nick » Sun May 01, 2011 11:38 am

a good friend and I were restoring a mini for his wife many years ago (before home migs were really that available) and he stopped mid putting a wing on and wiped the sweat off his forhead and managed to zap his forhead quite nicely.. of course arc is live all the time wheras most migs have non live torch till the button is pressed (not gasless ones though)
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration