DRROPSNOOT

Have you spotted a Viva on the internet?

DRROPSNOOT

Postby griffonmark » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:41 pm

In this weeks Autotrader there is an article on the Firenza HP. Quite a polite one considering what a pile of *Bleep* these things were in their day. I'm old enough to remember when nobody wanted to buy one. Apparently Vauxhall planned to sell 30,000 but only managed to build 204. Now assuming every other dealership had a demonstrator... that means nobody bought one new! They built 250 Griffons and none went to dealers - Ha!

I'll try to attach the article bought I'm not very good at this attachment thing so if it doesn't work out and you want a copy I'll try to email.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:41 am

Story I heard was that they wanted to build a thousand. I don't think it's fair to assume they were all sold as ex-demonstrators - magazines of the time gave them very good write-ups in the main. But I can't speak from experience as I was about seven when it was new, and not really all that 'into' cars.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jonnydiver » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:48 pm

Actually Droopsnoot Firenzas were and are very good cars. Although they had faults they were better than there competition of the day i.e. Dolomite sprint, RS2000 e.t.c. After all it had a massively torquey 2.3l engine 5 speed gbox. Double wishbone suspension and a 4 link rear suspension. It was far more aerodynamic and better looking than most and the styling was well ahead of its time. 130 bhp 0 to 60 around 8 secs and top speed of near on 120mph. It also had lowered and stiffer springs uprated dampers and roll bar and a performance exhaust manifold and system. They are still talked about to this day and I am restoring mine at the moment and it willnot be a pile of *Bleep* !!!
jonnydiver
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby griffonmark » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 pm

I give in - you got me beat on top speed.

However, a pile of *Bleep* still looks like a pile of *Bleep* no matter how hard you throw it!
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:06 pm

now now boys

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Return to Spotted a Viva on the internet?