Griffon

Do you have a Viva Based kit car ? well here is the place to try and get some advice, help and information.

Griffon

Postby steve williams » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:56 pm

I have inherited my dads 1980's built Griffon kitcar, based on an 1800 Magum. Been stored in a barn and unused for 10 years, a bit rough to look at but it's all there, any idea what it might be worth or where to advertise it for sale?
steve williams
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Griffon

Postby shamm » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Need some pictures to give you any idea, condition make a huge difference!
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby raplma » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:35 am

Take with a pinch of salt

Where: eBay and/or the forums like Pistonheads and Locostbuilders (unless there is an owners club) the mags don't have a great circulation
Value: Pick a number . . . IMHO almost certainly under £500.

TBH, as with the second hand car market the bottom has also fallen out of the kit car market, there are some seriously decent cars going for a song at the moment. I am not an expert but have owned and still own kit cars of the period. I may be mistaken but even the more well known makes of the time like Dutton and Sylva are not shifting for much, and the Griffon isn't that well known. As a rule of thumb £1500 for a good condition 'known' older kit car, for a non runner £250-£500. But who knows seeing they are rare there may be some demand, you could put it on with a low starting price and a reserve, but TBH you'll get the silly low offers and then don't be surprised if it does not sell. At least the Griffon is more pleasing on the eye than many of it's contemporaries (assuming you have the one I think you have). Seeing your father built it, if the car holds any emotional attachment then don't sell it, and restore it, you'll only be depressed by the apparent impertinence of others

Mark
It's a Viva Jim just not as you knows it . . . well it used to be it's now a Sylva Star kit car
raplma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby steve williams » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm

pics
Attachments
steve williams
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby steve williams » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:19 pm

inside
Attachments
steve williams
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Retro morgs » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 pm

I quite like that! :D
68 HB bitza,72 HC 1159 Deluxe,74 HC 1800 SL auto,74 FE Ventora,94 2.8 Frontera
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby steve williams » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 pm

A friend at work has offerd me 400 quid which is disappointing but seems fair after the comments on here, funny thing is found out today that the registration number is worth £350, but only if the car was Taxed and Tested, bummer!!
steve williams
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby steve williams » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Now sold, thanks for the comments, much appreciated, chaps....now to spend the money on a motorcycle project!!
steve williams
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Paul-61 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Having (initially) insulted my friend Steve with my offer, I am now the proud owner of his Griffon.
Much to my wife's dismay it is temporarily a 'Garden Feature', as I have stripped the top end off the engine for a clean-up.
So far I have only managed to shear one banjo-bolt for the inlet heating - still trying to source a replacement before I do a domestic plumbing job on it.
If anyone is interested in a progress update I will throw in a few pictures as I go.
Paul-61
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Yes please, we like pictures.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Next

Return to Kit Cars