Droopsnoot - Rust in Peace in Scottland

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:45 pm

There is a Droopsnoot shown in the Rust in Peace section of this months Practical Classics. I have made enquires from the Mag about contact. The following information was sent to me which may be of interest to someone out there :
HI Fred

The car is located between Harbour Road and Seafield Road on the Longman industrial estate in Inverness. It is behind MACSIGNS and is owned by the boss SCOTT on 01463 236511. It is complete but rotten having sat in a garden in Tain for 25 years, although it could be re-shelled. It had only done 47k when it was parked up! He sounds willing to part with it as he bought for spares for another that he is doing up but didn't need anything from it. Give him a call, he's a nice bloke,

Regards Miles
If anyone purchases it and does not want the front bumper I am in the market for one :wink: :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:56 pm

OHHH Fred you know you want it, go bye it and sell off the rest for parts!!!
pbottomley

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:15 pm

I will leave this one to you Paul :lol:
I am still trying to brush up the rust which is droping off the Sportshatch which I bought off eBay befor Xmas. :evil: :oops:
It was from someone called Ian Bently in the Bath/ Bristol area. I assume he is still there - he does not reply to any form of communication I try to have with him. :o :o
If this person offers anything to anyone who reads this PLEASE look at it VERY carefully before purchase.
He has 2 Droopsnoots which he may try and unload - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - TREAD CAREFULLY :!: :!: :!: :!:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

scottish snoot

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Fred - are you any good wih a welder ? you could probably make a front bumber out of 2 rears or cut off the ends of the fronts and fabricate the end corners of a rear bumber to the front. If you use the front ,you will have to also "lose" the V point in the centre if you want an original look. The brakets are easy to make , but if you got a snoot youll probably have them. The bumber iron on the scottish snoot is probably rusted so badly that the fibreglass would be bubbled anyway! A very good example of a fabricated bumber is on a silver snoot lookalike (with the old nail bodykit) which was at billing last year - its on a K plate. As you know the oldnail kit has a bumber already moulded into the snoot. I spoke to the owner and he said he made the bumber up himself and cut out the moulded fibreglass sections accordingly - the end result was fantastic - even had the rubber bump strip in place. I have done the same with my viva e which i fitted with a magard snoot - but used the front bumper (kept the v point) - now all i need is an old back bumper to make the corners - the back bumper has longer wrap arounds than the front and are more suited to the snoot. As the snoots bumbers were colour co-ordinated it makes sense to make one up and paint it unless of course you can find one with no damage and no bumber iron rot at a good price.
The other problem is locating a decent bump strip without the back locating aluminium strip being too coroded. I have considered using those rubber strips you see on caravans and boats - but as yet havent done too much reseach into it. With regards the guy in Bristol - point taken , we should all be more aware when buying cars. But come on, werent all vauxhalls made with rusty metal to start with. Wheres the fun in polishing the car without ripping your hands to shreds on the rust bubbles and jagged edges :P
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for that - gives me plenty of food for thought :)
I will be a while before I get round to the Sporthatch bumper :roll: :wink:
But I will file what you have said and maybe get some welding practise :lol:
I think I have got arear bumper with the rubber bump strip.
Take your point about the condition of something which has been standing out for 25 years
I am mad at myself really for being such a gulable plonker and not going to look before buying :oops:
Fred
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: Droopsnoot - Rust in Peace in Scottland

Postby pbottomley » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:I am mad at myself really for being such a gulable plonker and not going to look before buying

Then Fred you are fully paid up member of the Viva lovers, we all seem to bye cars with our hearts and never our minds. I should know I have bought wayyyyyyyyy to many cars with heart and not mind. :shock: :D
pbottomley

Mr bently

Postby vxmad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi i have have bought one of the HPF firenza's from himand I am in tne process of buying the other one as well, I do have his number if you need it regards Steve
vxmad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby steff » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:27 pm

There's a couple of members from the Inverness/Elgin/Moary area if anyones interested I sure they would be happy to go along and have a look and take some digital photos.

Cheers

Steff
HC496
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Found a Viva in real life?