Curiosity

:help3: an area for website help and use guides

Curiosity

Postby Clara » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:01 pm

How many people here use paypal? It occured to me (at stupid o clock is the morning - grr) that maybe it might be worth suggesting it to the new committe (good luck all who sail in her) as a way to pay for membership / regalia. Make life easier perhaps?

Ok that'n my thinking done for the day, now where did I leave that hammer....
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:26 pm

I use it, the only small headache would be the 2.5% charge that anybody receiving the money would have to cover, ie send £10, you only receive £9.75 etc.
Other than that I like the idea, I have no information if the club has to pay to bank cheques etc. I hope not, but as the accounts are not in a persons name, I don't know how the banks would deal with it.

Good thoughts Clara

Cheers
Tony (HA21) :D
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:01 pm

i dont bother with it, due to the charge and the long waite you have to get your money out of it
Pork Pie

Postby Clara » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:46 pm

I don't believe the club can not afford the small charge. I'm just thinking of it as a more instant way of buying things - no waiting for cheques to clear.

If you paypal your money for i.e. regalia the goods can be sent out that day. Does anyone know how long it takes now?

Just curious is all.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:14 pm

Yes you can pay for good straight away and it does suit customers. However, should the seller want his money It takes about 10 working days (yes working) to transfur it to your account!

All paypal paymnets that involve postage, and the same or next day postage are based on trust! Trust that the money will appear one day in the future in your account.

At anytime, should there be a claim to paypal that the good didnt turn up, they were not as described etc, Paypal can freeze the whole account pending investigations, that can take up to 90 days to sort out. In that time no one will get any money no matter how much is in the account. (e.g. a claim over 50 pence could clock out several 100 pounds in an account)

try googling for paypalsucks

On the whole paypal works, and its easy to set up online payments into a paypal buisness account which the club could start. I am sure its an easy process and very easy to manage, but as you know technology hasnt been Adrains strong point, but I am sure Danny and Terry could work it all out.

Should they want to move in that direction the biggest problem will not be the paymenst but the customer details and how they protect those customers details when ordering items online... (the normal way is with a secure partition) I am not going to go into details here but thats process costs money, and will take me a lot of time to put together.

Like most things web based, its possible but I for one am not keen on doing the work right now. Way to many real cars to work on, maybe when the days get darkl again I might look at the idea. If some other mad fool wants to do it talk to me first.
pbottomley

Postby crazy viva lady » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:14 pm

Okay - so I know it would be a lot of work for other people but from a completely selfish point of view I think it would be fantastic - the only reason I haven't officially joined yet is cause i don't have a cheque book (have access to paypal though :twisted: ) and so haven't got round to post office for postal orders - and the paypal surcharge is cheaper for me than the postal orders or even the price of a first class stamp and envelope usually.

I vote YES ha ha ha
crazy viva lady

Postby Clara » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:52 pm

pbottomley wrote:technology hasnt been Adrains strong point

I thought he was just afraid of answering the phone!

(Sorry Miller)
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby shamm » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:42 am

It looks like I will be taking over the membership sec. position shortly.

I don't have a problem with setting up a PayPal account to take membership fees other than the 3.4% payment receive fee.

This would make the total PayPal membership cost £21.72 for a full year.

If people are interested then I will have a think about how it would work.

Steve Hammond
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Tigran » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:04 am

I would be muchos interested - as Pay Pal is a godsend for lazy stoodents like me :lol:
Slippin, Slidin, Glidin, Lowridin'

1964 Rover P5 i6
1976 Vauxhall Viva Coupe - The Judge - DET baby!
1988 BMW 525e - The Rusty Streak

Have a look at GS Autoworks Facebook page, it's more amazing than levitation!
Tigran
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Clara » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:19 am

shamm wrote:It looks like I will be taking over the membership sec. position shortly.

I don't have a problem with setting up a PayPal account to take membership fees other than the 3.4% payment receive fee.

This would make the total PayPal membership cost £21.72 for a full year.

If people are interested then I will have a think about how it would work.

Steve Hammond

Good luck! :lol:

But do you really think that the club can't pay the paypal fees? It seems odd that as a club, with reglia to make money and such that we couldn't just absorb the costs. Other clubs do.
We're not here to make money we're here to be a club for the members. If the bank balance is a little lower at the end of the year should it really matter?
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Website Discussion