New Viva HC Owner

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Re: New Viva HC Owner

Postby retrotoe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:54 am

take tank out,swill it with brake cleaner,leave couple off days,drain it,did it with mine load off crud and dirt came out,took sender out left for day dry,bone dry.put filter befor feulpump,what difference,next time you go on long run with full tank,put some dryfeul in,mine was doing same,did that put nos carb,its runs perfect now,also check your condenser mine wasent fasteren proper,and you need plenty good luck lol, :goodluck:
retrotoe

Postby RoyF » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks guys, I think I may be homing in on the problem.

Today I gunked the engine and surrounding area to get rid of the lovely coating of oil from yesterday's valve clearance set up. Will do them static in future.

Checked points and they were at 0.010" so increased to 0.020". Played a bit with the idle screw and then tried to set the mixture but found that no matter whether I screwed it in or out, there was little change in revs. For the first time since collecting the car, I have it idling without choke. Now that's progress :?

So my next task is to check the vacuum advance mechanism in the dizzy. If thats ok, I need to get to the bottom of the mixture control not controlling! Failing that, it must be a leak somewhere. The search continues.....
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Make sure the base plate in the dizzy is earthed properly (small black wire between condenser securing screw and body) as it can cause erratic running!! steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby RoyF » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 pm

bedfordbad wrote:Make sure the base plate in the dizzy is earthed properly (small black wire between condenser securing screw and body) as it can cause erratic running!! steve

I hadn't thought of that nor spotted anything there but will certainly check that tomorrow. Thanks
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby RoyF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 am

Looks like I'm nearly there in fixing the engine running problem. Plugs were at 0.035" so cleaned and reset to 0.030". Checked the dizzy earth wire and all ok. Then I removed the carb top cover again and took out the emultion breather, which I missed checking last time, to find the filter was totally clogged. Washed that through and refitted. Took the car for a run and for the first time she accelerates well. Result :D
The plug leads look very old so will change them. Looks like is all been about the carb being clogged up and what I will do next is do a full strip down, thorough clean and re'assembly.
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Excellent, Seem like you are getting there, it probably wont run at 100% until you have had a few good runs to clean fuel tank/ lines ect of old fuel, Give carb a good wash out with carb/ brake cleaner or at least fresh fuel! Are you using a lead replacement/ fuel additive ?
steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby RoyF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Steve, I will be using lead additive, its got some added to the tank at present. I've given the carb a number of doses of redex, that should have helped. In-line fuel filter will be added soon. She will get a few good runs this weekend then off to its first showing at my local classic car club meet on Sunday morning. I hope there will be other Viva owners there for a natter.
Roy
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Say Hello