Thinking about maybe getting a Viva.

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Thinking about maybe getting a Viva.

Postby MarkYoungIW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I love all things old, and my Dad had a Viva when we were young TDL497J. I have been looking at getting a classic for a while, and I have kept considering a Viva HC, so it seems the next step is to join this forum while I am looking.

Interestly Dad's old Viva isn't showing up as being scrapped on the DVLA website, but as it say's it hasn't been taxed since 1989 I am guessing it has gone long ago.

Anyway, I have had a good look round the forum and it has proved very informative.

If and when I find a Pre 1973 Viva that I fancy I will no doubt be more regular on here.

Mark
1971 Viva SL 1159cc Automatic
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Thinking about maybe getting a Viva.

Postby hbpeter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello and welcome. Be carefull when looking at cars, make sure it is pre73 from the chassis number. Look here for how to make sense of them: http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=290

If you join the actual owners club you will get access to the rest of the forum, club spares and magazine, and occasional cars that are offered for sale to members only.

Do you remember what model your dads HC was, SL, Deluxe, 2dr, 4dr?? Chances are if it hasent been taxed since 89 it is long gone, but you never know it might be hiding in a forgotton garage somewhere!

Ask any questions you have, and good luck on your search.

Peter :welcome:
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MarkYoungIW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 pm

It was a 4 door 1159 Deluxe in metalic blue. As a kid my main memory was how hot those back seats used to get when you'd been to the beach and got back in wearing shorts!!

Thanks for the link re the chassis numbers. Will certainly double check if I do find the right car.

I will give the owners club some thought. I'm not rushing into buying a Viva, but at the moment it is looking like my car of choice, partly for nostalgia and partly because it looks more practical to use once in a while.

It would be nice to think Dad's old car is sitting in a barn/garage somewhere, but with Data protection, I am fairly sure it would take a miricle to find out the cars fate.
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks for the info on TDL, I will add it to our register of all known Vivas, dead or alive. Your right about the seats, many a kid got burnt legs off those!

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MarkYoungIW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Did an Experian check on the car and it shows:-

Number of previous keepers................................5
Most recent keeper change..................................17/06/1988

This is when my Dad sold it I believe as I remember going on holiday the year before this with the Viva, then the year after in our nice MK1 Cavalier.

Interesting the tax ran out 01/01/1989. Looks like the chap who brought it only used the car for 6 months then. Although I know the car had a bit of rust, I don't remember it being that bad, although I was only about 10 then, so it could be rose tinted glasses!!
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Mark welcome to the Forum - I wish you louck in your search for a pre 73 Viva - the only one I know to at this time is this http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... hall-viva/ which to my mind is well over priced.
When you are ready to join up get in touch with me - Membership Sec - and I will sort you out - we have some discounts on offer from a couple of insurance brokers
Cheers
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby MarkYoungIW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi Fred,
Thanks for that. Yes, I saw that Viva for sale. Looks very nice, but does seem a little top heavy. Also ideally looking for a 4 door, although beggers can't be choosers. I did one on eBay a week or so ago, but it was withdrawn from the auction, so i am guessing it sold privately.

Fingers crossed though the right one will come along, ready for the summer!!
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 pm

An Experian Check? Whats that then??

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MarkYoungIW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Quite a few services on the internet for this, but Experian's gives previous owners and dates (not their names and addresses though, just when the car changed hands).

https://www.autocheck.co.uk
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 pm

There is a chap in Cambridge who has an HB for sale for £1995 - it will have a full MoT when he gets it back from his garage man - look on Viva HB SL90 for sale - I put the thread up about Oct 12 - there is a contact no. and email addrress - David Hill - dhill376@hotmail.com.
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Next

Return to Say Hello