Hello........Please help

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello........Please help

Postby tobias » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi,

I just wondered if someone could help me. I have a 1973 viva HC which I use as a everyday car but sadly it is currently at the side of the road. My girlfriend was driving it today and the car starting chugging and the gear stick started shaking loads.......she pulled over at the side of the road and waited for me. I lifted the bonnet and the Rocker cap was missing (not sure how) and oil was everywhere. Does anyone know where I can get another one from/is this part compatible which another car? I can't find any on ebay for sale............

Does this happen? Has someone nicked mine? Has my mechanic not screwed it down?

Do you think the is high chance engine is totalled?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post but I love my car and would love to have her back on the road asap.

Many Thanks
Toby
tobias
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hello........Please help

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi toby - engine condition is dependant on how much oil was thrown out before it stopped. Check oil level on dipstick see if there is any left. need to clean engine/engine bay and dry out. if you are not mechanical get your man to check it out and clean it up - top up the oil and get started see oil warning light goes out - could find some temorary bung for oil filler cap. Problem will be that crank case pressure may blow out any temporary seal. I am sure that someone on here will have a spare oil cap. need to know if it is 1256/1159 OHV engine or bigger OHC engine - different filler caps.
Sounds like the oil cap was not put on properly when oil was added last.
Good luck
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby dann01 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 am

Would not be too concerned about the cars behaviour just prior to looking under the bonet. Oil would have been spraying onto the HT leads and dizzy cap and ignition would have been all over the place resulting in mis-fire, hence the rocking and shimmy. Things should be greatly improved when all cleaned up.

Hope it all works out ok.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby tobias » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for quick response......

The car is a 1256 and I greatly appreciate if someone had a spare cap. I can't really start her up until I get one, then I can see what the damage really is.

I have a fair few spare parts which I got when I brought the car, I have a list somewhere which I could post in case anyone else might need something I have e.g. spare front grill.

I think after speaking to a few people that the damage might be as bad as I first thought as the girlfriend pulled over as soon as the car started making noise, fingers crossed.

Think luck with the car has run out as I had one years motoring and no trouble and now it is just one thing after another, such as student coming home drunk and ripping off the wing mirrors......lol.

If the engine is gone, Can I get hold of spare? How much is she worry not running? The car has no rust and is in a very good condition, clean inside and out. Not that I am thinking of selling but last resort, don't think I will be able to as mentioned it to the girlfriend and she nearly started crying.....lol.

Cheers Toby
tobias
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Hello and welcome. WHats the reg number of the car and have you any pictures? 1256 engines often come up on ebay quite cheap, and a few people on here might have a good spare. Is the filler cap lurking anywhere in the engine bay? Unusual for them to come off, unless it wasnt fitted properly, or possibly the locking tabs have been bent or broken.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Icedmunkie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi, Toby,

If you Join the club you will access to the club parts scheme with very good discounts. We can help you will alot of 1256 bits. Feel free to PM me any other bits you may require.

Sorry to hear about your car, I hope its all ok
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby tobias » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Sorry,

Been a while since I was on here. Car is driving again, bit of luck came our way and a friend new a classic car mechanic who fixed her for next to nothing.

Thanks for the advice at the time, sorry about the long time for the reply.

Cheers
tobias
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Why not join the Club and take advantage of the help, advice and support from the Viva Family -there are one or two members in the Bournemouth area - I started my Viva-ing in Wimborne :P I have attached an application form for your consideration :wink:
Attachments
Application Form.doc
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
InquiryLetter.doc
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Say Hello