Hello from CanAm 302

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello from CanAm 302

Postby Canam302 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:01 am

Hi All,

My name is Justin, and I reside in South Africa. I own a numbers matching Chev Firenza CanAm 302. Some of you may know the history of this special vehicle.

My car was purchased by my father in 1981, and it was his pride an joy. He unfortunatley passed in Aug 2011, and I have inherited the vehicle. Luckily I love working on the car, and have a great passion for these vehicles.

I was in a bot of an accident with the vehicle last year, and I have decided to rebuild the vehicle.

The car still has its original Z/28 302 motor, Muncie 4 speed box, Opel GT seats, ARE aerofoil etc.

I am looking for a new Lucas Headlamp.... just bought one off Ebay, now need another one!!

Thanks

Justin
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hello from CanAm 302

Postby viva les vegas » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:32 am

WOW! Welcome, and do you have any pics? I'll let Pete ask about the registration this time (oops, too late) You might get asked a few questions, probably by me as I'm attempting to shoehorn a 305 into mine, but feel free to ask any questions. We'll gladly answer whatever we can, occasionally sensibly :) Enjoy your stay, we're a light hearted bunch that enjoys a bit of banter alongside the seriousness.
Oh, did I mention WOW!?
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Canam302 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 am

Hi guys,

I am not able to post pictures, as there is a problem with the pixels? Can I email to someone, who is more technologicaly inclined then me....hahaha!

Thanks

Justin
Attachments
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby dann01 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 am

Cool looking car, and under the bonet has been well thought out too... No clutter.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Canam302 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,

Thanks. My father was a very proud man, and besides my mom, this was his pride and joy.

This was infact his second Canam, and improved a lot on this car that was shoddy on original CanAms. Personal taste, but keeping the right bits.

I have has the car resprayed, and am busy redoing mostly everything. Have decided to go with the original black accents and bonnet as originally built. My father like the clean all white look, but I decided on a change.

Any questions are more than welcome, my email address is Justin.Gouws@jhi.co.za. Wish we had more cars and spares of this sort in SA.

Jus
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Hello and welcome. Very smart car. Photo can be no larger than 800x600 pixels. Email them to me if you get stuck. We dont really know much about Canams, we didnt have that car over here. If you join the owners club you get access to the full forum, magazine and spares.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi - interesting to see the CanAm - the DSG had one
and a replica on there NEC stand 2010
The attachment NEC 2010 027.jpg is no longer available

I have a Firenza called The Red Baron which has a 3.5 L Rover V8 in
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Canam302 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am

Hi,

Wow some nice cars!! I know of the DSG Canam. Its owned by a guy called Terry Price. Been trying to get hold of his email address with no luck. His car looks to very nice. Wonder if it has been rebuilt.

The other as correctly stated is a replica of Jan Hettama's rally car. Also very well put together car, by the looks of it.

Spares in SA for these cars are almost non existant. I now have to have a windscreen made for the car and it costing me R3,700 ( 250pounds), which to us South Africans is a lot of money.

Ive been on Ebay so often seeing items I need, but shipping charges work out to more than the actual part a lot of the time. I bought a bottom ball joint for 10pounds, and shipping cost 20pounds. The item didn't even arrive!! Not blaming the seller, but our excellent postal service.

If any of you guys come to Johannesburg South Africa, let me know!

Jus
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am

Think the 302's were made for only 2 years, the '67- '69 Camaros. This is what I've been searching for when I've been looking for parts. Shipping is ridiculously overpriced. I've found a website in the States that deals with all things Camaro, so have used them a couple times (and they're cheaper than using their ebay store) Search for heartbeat city and have a gaze through their wares :-) I've just had an email off them for a 15% discount this week. More parts on order :-)
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Canam302 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am

Hi,

Yes the 302 Z/28 was used on 67-69 Camaro's. Engine and gearbox parts are no problem. I can get those from the States albeit, R10/$.

The difficulty is getting hold of body, interior, lights, suspension, glass. I UK there are many parts which I can gather by looking at Ebay, but with R15/pound, it gets ludicrous!

Jus
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Say Hello