New Viva owner

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Re: New Viva owner

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Hello stranger. Thought you had forgotton us lot! Look forward to the photos.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 pm

hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby niftynevins » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Fred, the plan was to go to the Ashes in Nottingham and then down to Billing for the weekend. The tickets I was going to get fell through and then I decided to stay in Sweden.
Am I right in thinking there is a 50th celebration on soon? Maybe I could pop over for that.
As for the leftover parts im okay for the moment, I have plenty of those parts.

Hi Peter no all good definitely havn't forgotten. I must admit it's hard looking on here when I can't walk out to the shed so I go through stages of enthusiasm and then sadness :roll: This summer I have been quite active with the Swedish club. I just have to decide on whether I bring a car over here from home or buy one here :D
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby niftynevins » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Mark if you do come across any HB's don't forget to check for a 90 head. I would say most I have come across have this. It has bigger valves and a different exhaust plus it will have a single Stromberg on there.
Keep your eyes out for twin carbs they do pop up.
I had four sets of Brabham carbs but sold them on. My car is early and is also the highest spec so it has SU's.
This was done in house and is a hand fabricated steel manifold.
The more basic Brabham had 125cd and the HB's had 150cd Stromberg's

In Australia there were quite a few tuning shops offering performance equipment the most common is LYNX.
I have a weber manifold from them and also have one for SU's.
At this stage I will keep the Weber but might be tempted to clear out some of my stuff once I do a stocktake in March.

As for extractors my HA has a set on it and a mate has sonic extractors from a period shop in Sydney. We planned to do a back to back on a Dyno when the Brabham is running and then get a few sets done in stainless. Once again all in good time.

Maybe post a list of what you want on here rather than PM me (is that okay Peter?)
Only reason I say this is I was having beers in Australia at our national rally in January and there were four blokes there who look on here every week and have never posted. Its good you gave me a kick up the bum, I have meaning too be more active on here for a while.

Andrew

niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Andrew - there is the Vauxhall Heritage Open Day at luton 18th Aug which we are having club stand for the 50th and we are having our National at the Coventry Festival of Transport at Stoneleigh 24th and 25th Aug so you could do the 2 if you get your timing right.
Let Carl - our chairman - know if your coming to the heritage open and Mike stanley if you are coming to the National.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Post as many wanted lists as you like, fine by me, the more that see them the more chance you have of getting the bits you need.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby HASTANDARD » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 am

I will start a wanted thread pretty soon then!! Better make sure I put Australia in the heading though. I will keep an eye out for the 90 heads I have got a 1159 engine that came with the car and also a spare red HB head haven't pulled the other head off to compare valve sizes yet.
Let me know when you do your stocktake :). The webber manifold you have is it a side draught? I know you said your keeping it but I was curious :P

I will keep you all posted on the build too.
Thanks heaps Guys.
HASTANDARD
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby niftynevins » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 am

Let me know when you do your stocktake :). The webber manifold you have is it a side draught? I know you said your keeping it but I was curious :P

Hello mate the stocktake will be done in March when im home.
The Weber manifold is for a sidedraft 40DCOE. I found it brand new in a speedshop in Adelaide, I think the guy was sad he sold it as he had the original receipt from Lynx in 65. He was going to retire the next year and put it on his shelf at home.
Sidedraft manifolds pop up from time to time on ebay UK. It is worth looking under chevette or viva 1256.
Don't be put off by postage from the UK it is quite often cheaper than post in Australia. even though it is 14000 miles away.

Andrew

niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HASTANDARD » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 am

Thats cool to have a manifold with a bit of a story. Did he let you have the reciept from 65?
I have found a lynx Twin su manifold with 1 X 1 1/4 inch su for $135 not including postage in Brisbane just not sure if its worth the money. The chances of me finding a matching carb are low so would probably have to buy another matching pair anyway. I would rather find a sidedraught manifold though I have a dellorto dhla 40 carb in good condition that I picked up a while back.
I have no idea how much manifolds are worth for vivas either, unknown territory for me I've always been into the holdens and prices are easy to gauge. How much should I be looking between for either a twin su or sidedraught webber manifold? I suppose the integrated rocker/manifolds would have different pricing again depending on brands. Maybe I should ask this question in another section of the forum. :?
Thanks Andrew
HASTANDARD
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Say Hello