South Coast Newbie.

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

South Coast Newbie.

Postby HC-Dave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Hello fellow Viva nuts.
I am Dave, a 52 year old mechanic and demon welder / fabricator who lives near Chichester, West Sussex. I am not new to Viva's as my first car was a 1972 HC Viva back in the late 1970's. It was a beige 2 door saloon reg number DOT550K. I doubt it still exists ????
Anyway the reason I am here is a guy near to where I work has a 1972 HC Viva in gold with black vinyl seats which he is thinking of getting rid of. I have first refusal on it. It has failed the mot on a lot of rust (inner and outer sills, front and rear valance, rear inner wheel arches etc). He is getting an estimate done then getting back to me. He is very old and not very well off so I think he may get rid. Trouble is, he loves the Viva a lot and has had it a very long time, he would like to see it restored, but he cant do it himself. He is very attached to it.
I think he may only let me have it on the grounds that I do it up, and not scrap or break it.
I have looked at the car and it is in a very sorry state, I can do it but it will be a long drawn out and expensive process.
So my questions are; do I bother with it? If I do what should I offer him for it? I am thinking £50 ?? I think it is only worth scrap value.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave.
HC-Dave
First Post
First Post

Re: South Coast Newbie.

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Sounds like a lot of welding - you sound like the man for the job as a welder fabricator. As you know he will not be able to see the size of the estimate :roll: If you can rescue it for around scrap value of circa £100 at least it has a chance of survival - I am assuming it is 1256/1159 OHV not a 2300.
Pete will be interested in the Reg No to check if it is on our register - if you feel like getting involved consider joining the Club we may be able to help with parts/panels :wink:
Application Form.doc
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
InquiryLetter.doc
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: South Coast Newbie.

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:08 am

Hello and welcome. DOT550K, we have no record of it, neither does the DVLA so chances are its long gone. Whats the reg number of the car you are looking at, any pictures? Some panels are hard to get and expensive when they do crop up, sills however are plentiful. A lot of it will probably be repair rather than replace.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Say Hello