Hello Viva World

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello Viva World

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Thought I'd better make myself known to the Club.

I learned to drive in my parents' 1972 Vauxhall Viva DL a four door in Henley Blue (NSO396K). Once I started work I was all for buying anything from the classifieds I remember getting all fired up over an MG Magnette that was offered locally for £20! I was told that would not be an option and then lusted after a TR4A in racing green, this was not to be and my mother said she'd help with a deposit if I'd buy something 'sensible'.

So it was that the local Vauxhall dealerships managing director's wife was trading in her Viva, and it was offered to us. With a £600 loan from the bank (I worked for them so got a sweet deal on the interest rate) and a deposit from my mother I became the proud owner of a 1972 Vauxhall Viva 2 door in silver (a much rarer colour then than now). The reg was OSO22L I'm pretty sure it ended up in the local scrapyard as the last time I saw it it was very much the worse for wear.

I dabbled briefly with an MG Midget before moving on the a 1968 Viva GT, unfortunately after doing an engine rebuild and clutch replacement I did was all young men do, I crashed it :( Oh well I did at least recoup my outlay on the money I put into it. Given the side impact it suffered and we walked away from it, I was impressed by the quality of the construction.

Next came a 1971 Vauxhall Victor 2000SL loved that one too but alas it didn't last.

My next to last Viva was a 1978 1300GLS 2 door YMJ437S which was traded for some landscaping work.

My last Viva was actually a Magnum Sportshatch it was shortly after this that I left the UK to work abroad and the car was traded for a Saab 900i for my sister.

There have been plenty of other cars along the way but I always have a soft spot for the Viva.

I joined the club as I may be heading back in next next 6 months and will be looking for a Viva again. My ideal would be another 1300GLS (would love and estate version) or the 2.3liter Magnum Estate.

All the best,
Murray
Mitchell
First Post
First Post

Re: Hello Viva World

Postby bedfordbad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Murray, welcome to our club and forum, its good that you are a club member as well as that gives you greater access to the forum!
Good to see you know what car your after, although magnums are few and far between now especially larger engined examples! ! might be worth posting a wanted ad on here as well! :goodluck:
steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:36 pm

its good that you are a club member as well as that gives you greater access to the forum!

But only if one asks :goodideasign:

Private Members area application
pbottomley

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:58 pm

You have already done him Paul :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby rizzo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Nice introduction, welcome in :D
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Hello and welcome. Nice Viva history complete with reg numbers! Dont suppose you have any pictures of the cars do you? As already said Magnums are rare as are 1300GLS's. You might be better off buying on condition rather than a specific model. Good luck and let us know how you get along.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:50 pm

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C572318

Seems expensive, especially with no photos. Did ask him for some but never got a response.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Say Hello