Dormobile Roma in Western Isles of Scotland

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Dormobile Roma in Western Isles of Scotland

Postby Dormobile Roma » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I have re-acquired my uncle's Bedford HA Dormobile Roma. He owned it from 1968 until his death in 1994. I then owned it until '96 when I sold it as I had no garage to keep it in. It passed through two or 3 people until May 2014 when I bought it back. It had had some welding and painting done in that time but hadn't been on the road since January 1997. It took me 3 days to get it through an MOT. So it is going and gradually I am sorting out the faults. Main issues are the interior is largely missing so I am having to recreate this. I can't re-manufacture the correct parts so I will have to make an alternative but workable layout.

The other problem is the paint colour. It is the common Strata Blue code 7BL. This was used from 1960 to 1973 by Vauxhall but can I find any that I can spray. The 2K paints are no use as I haven't got a proper spray booth to use them in and as I am doing a rolling restoration I'll be spraying, or even in some cases hand painting, a panel at a time. As you can see the bonnet is just in primer. The exterior of the Roma has been hand painted in a slightly darker colour than the correct colour which the interior is still in. Trying to source paint seems to be a real problem. It isn't helped by where I live. £60 for delivery of 1 litre of paint is a bit steep.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'll be down in England during the year so if you know of a paint supplier that can supply old Vauxhall paints let me know.

Thanks,

Martin
Dormobile Roma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Dormobile Roma in Western Isles of Scotland

Postby hbpeter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Hello and welcome. Very rare vehicle you have saved, well done. Get in touch with Steve Grey(bedfordbad), he might be able to help with some interior parts. Halfords can mix paint into spray cans, dont suppose you have a local branch!!
Whats the reg number on the car? Any more photos?

If you join the owners club you will get access to parts, magazine and the rest of the forum, Fred will be along soon with the paper work. :mrgreen:

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby jpsmit » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 am

lovely! welcome
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby bedfordbad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:24 am

Hi martin and welcome to the forum,
Great to see another roma saved! Is it a mk 1 or 2? As its really hard to tell from the picture. ... ive an early mk1and ive plenty picks on Flickr if you need them during rebuild (google UJJ742F then follow link to Flickr )
strata blue is quite a common colour so im sure somebody will be along soon to tell you paint codes.. or you could get it matched by a professional body shop, you dont need a spray booth to use 2k paints (i use them all the time in my garage) and it would be by far the most hard wearing, but use a good quality mask when spraying....
Ive broken mk1 and 2 romas in the past and have some interior spares if you need them but obviously delivery to lewis would be expensive. ..dont know if your in the club yet but membership gives you greater access to forum and other benefits. .
steve.
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Dormobile Roma » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Steve

Just a quick reply as I'm supposed to be working!

I have just joined the Viva Owners Club this morning, I was a member in the 90s. The registration is HST 618 F re-registered in 1990s from the original TCH 72 F. It is a Mk 1 with the top hinged rear door and solid sided extension, except I have none of the extensions panels. The other parts I am missing are the cooker, though I think I would use a modern one with disposable cartridges, the sink,(the drainage part is there) and the mechanism and back rest for the rear seat.

I'm down in England (though not in the Roma) in late March and could collect anything you might have.

Thanks for the info about 2K paints.

Martin Palmer
Dormobile Roma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby steff » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Martin

I am in the process of repainting my 71 HC just now and got cellulose paint and thinners no bother from Scotts, Paint Shop in Chapelhall, North Lanarkshire think they would ship it for you as well.

Worth a shot.

Steff
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby George » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:46 pm

I have just this afternoon painted the wings on mine with aerosols from Holts paints. They have stockists nationwide. Fairly cheap too £3 a 300ml can. Not a bad colour match either. Might be worth giving them a go http://www.holtspaints.com/
George
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Dormobile Roma » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 am

Hi Steve

Did you get a chance to look out what you might have, please?

Dormobile Roma wrote:
It is a Mk 1 with the top hinged rear door and solid sided extension, except I have none of the extensions panels. The other parts I am missing are the cooker, though I think I would use a modern one with disposable cartridges, the sink,(the drainage part is there) and the mechanism and back rest for the rear seat.

I'm down in England (though not in the Roma) in late March and could collect anything you might have.

Thanks,

Martin Palmer
Dormobile Roma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:21 am

Hi Martin. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. .
I will have most of them bits but I will have to look at condition ect ... do you need the back panel as well as sites?
Also the seat back .... do you mean the cushion or the metal folding frame?
Steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Dormobile Roma » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Steve

That's great.

It is the sides and end and floor, though I assume that was a plywood panel. For the rear seat it is both the metal frame and the backrest.

The sink, cooker and the little tables are also missing. All I have is the two units down the sides.

Don't worry about condition, I'm quite happy to refurbish etc.

I'm expecting to be heading to Donington Park (I'm helping out with a 750 Formula car at the race) for the weekend of 28th/29th March. Ideally I would like to pick the things up on the way back, i.e. Monday 30th, but I could do it the week before.

Thanks again,

Martin
Dormobile Roma
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to Say Hello