Hello new here and need big help with no vin

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello new here and need big help with no vin

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Hello Every one,

I have always been a ford lover and did own 2 capri's but my one capri as silly as i was which was perfectly fine running on the road i swapped for a very big project viva, purely because i love the shape and my dad owned a very simular one so i said id get him something from his child hood as i couldn't find another one around.
so it arrived and off went the capri and knowing my luck, there's no vin number and the reg doesn't show on the internet and now i'm very gutted. hopefully someone knows of this car and can help, but it has been locked in a shed for 30 years or more and i'm trying to find out exactly what it is??

after reading up apparently its an sl 90 but then it indicates its a different model :s here are 2 pictures
any help is much appreciated and thanks for you're time.

James

upload gambar

picture host
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Hello new here and need big help with no vin

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Didnt see these pictures, as said in other posts, need to see pictures under the bonnet, what badge is on the boot lid, if any?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi peter,

just got back onto the computer. Hopefully the pictures below are enough? i was woundering, can you tell me if it's on a register list as i'm trying to find out what the vin is. all area's where the vin should be is not there. so i'm hoping the old owner was on here or if anyone can give me any information on this car such as model spec ect ect. the original color was blue, but it has been so many different colors and from what i can see it's been silver, purple, gold, green and original color blue and the steering wheel is different so i don't have a clue to how much has been changed.

James

free photo hosting

image hosting site no sign up

imagen

windows 7 screenshot
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:33 am

Hard to tell exactly which model it is but it appears to have originally been peacock blue & looks to be an SL model, on yours the vin plate should be on the slam panel by where the bonnet prop is
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 pm

thanks for the reply, but the vin number is missing so i'm hopefully trying to find if it's on a register list through here or if anyone knows of the car.
I contacted DVLA and have been informed to fill the logbook application form and send photo's and a cover note to why i can't supply the vin number.
hopefully all is well and it must be a good sign to when they asked for the reg and never said anything after i told them? for example if it didn't exist in the old records.

James
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:56 pm

That reservoir linked to a servo would lead me to think it is a Disc braked 90(I do not think Disc brakes were even optional on standard engined Basic/ Deluxe/SL models, but I could be wrong)I believe they were standard on Deluxe and SL 90s, as well as enlarged fitted ones on later OHC 1600s.

in a car this old they could have been retro fitted, but that rust would indicate the car has not seen the Queens highway for many a year, and as Peter said the engine on a 90 was always painted red, but any paint on that block etc has long since dissapeared

The grill and rear chrome that surrounds the lights and goes along the bottom of the boot aperture are SL,however as that rear panel has been painted black to emulate a GT, maybe the chrome too was retro fitted.

If an SL it should also have opening rear quarter lights(my Deluxe hasn't and neither by the look of things does yours, as they came with Crome window surrounds, on SLs, mine are body colour painted as it would appear are yours.

The SL interior had faux fake wood in the glove box cover, under the speedo, in the console(not in situ) and even in the steering wheel boss cover, yours has a leather covered aftermarket wheel.( Brahams kits had an option of a wood rim wheel, and straight thru rear exhaust box, as well as Twin Carbs )

The interior trim covering the bare metal tops ala basic and Deluxe trim , but the limited view of those front seats look suspiciously like Deluxe ones, and sculptured rear seats were SL features too, and apart from an SL 90 rear badge , missing,it would have had SL ones under the Viva legend on the front wings.

Not being funny but if for any reason you decide it is too much work, there is someone on here looking for that earlier switchgear, as he wants to fit a GT dash. To his SL, In turn he said at a show last year he would sell me his SL dash as it has a temp gauge when he could get the GT dash done. (His drum braked SL has been fitted with a servo incidentally.)
I bought a sender, but the absence of a temp gauge ,in mine led to an HC Estate owner I was parked next to at last years Stonard Barns on revealing such, asking if mine was a basic model, no sir the basic one or fleet model certainly was more basic than my Deluxe. I fitted an exchange rad and hoses last year, but do recal one of the many teething troubles my parents new 1967 Deluxe 90 suffered from was a broken fan belt after The temperature gauge had soared into the red. The sender however a year on is still in my spares box.

Hope this is of some help too and best of luck finding the exact info you need!
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Ps and SLs had full width hub cap and trims.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:25 pm

sorry but i will not be breaking it up, i'm already starting the restoration.
I haven't checked for discs or drums, it does have pop out rear windows and the faux wood trim inside aswell.
all i'm trying to get hold of is the vin at this current moment which hopefully i will hear good new from dvla.

james
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:56 pm

just looked and it does have discs aswell as the pop out windows.

james
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:35 pm

No probs personally, I am used to having no temp gauge and touch wood she doesn't drink water.
Also it is good to see another Viva will be rising from the Ashes, So everything points to yours being an early SL 90 circa August 1967 to August 1968' if the reg is correct(They changed from January to August for prefix letters in 67)
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Say Hello