New Firenza owner

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

New Firenza owner

Postby jamin008 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Just wanted to say Hello from Essex

Been looking for a solid Manta A, Opel GT or Firenza for a few years, finally found one that doesn't sell before I get there, is priced like its a MK2 'scort or is a rotten pear with lashings of underseal. Ended up buying the Silver one thats been on Ebay. It does need repainting (in time, it will do for now) but it is a very solid shell.

The 300 mile drive back was, to say the least, tiring!

Hunting for a 7 dial dash now if anyone knows of one!
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: New Firenza owner

Postby hbpeter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello and welcome. Was this the car that was in Redcar with the Carlton engine? If not, which one was it?
Ask any questions you may have, if you join the owners club you will get access to spares, magazine, and the rest of the forum.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:08 pm

What age is your Firenza? I'm asking because there are several different 7 dial dashs. Early ones with an ammeter are the most difficult to get all the dials working as the wiring loom for that one needs a lot of alteration to get the ammeter working, unless you get the correct loom with it.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby viva boy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:35 am

Hi jamin008
Welcome to firenza ownership.
Look forward to hearing more about your car and seeing pics.
Also don't forget to join the club it's the biggest must do in firenza / viva ownership, for the information needed to maintain the car, the knowledge of the members which is given freely when needed, and for access to the best spares money can buy Lol, it's also worth doing just for fun.
I'm sure Fred will be along soon with membership info soon.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Vivas seem to be highly addictive,
got an Estate
Now have a Coupe
now on the lookout for a Saloon
viva boy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:02 am

Well never one not to respond to a potential new member :P Welcome to Vivadom - you wont regret to Firenza experience :wink:
The club spares has a black 7 dial dash - not sure whether an early or late one - clock working or not - most common fault clock only right twice a day :roll:
whilst I am on - up at my shed yesterday sorting coupe window glass and managed to drop my only N/S door glass :( - need it for my Firenza restoration so if anyone has a spare coupe n/s door window glass PLEASE :!: :!: :!:
Took me an hour or so to hoover up as much of the glass as I could find :x

The Red Baron :P
Attachments
Application Form.doc
(34 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
InquiryLetter.doc
(25 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jamin008 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Peter it was the Carlton engined one from eBay

Nail it's a 71 but a mix match of parts from a 2300 and a 1150. It has the headlight and wiper switch on the clock surround so no idea where they go once the 7 dial is in place?!!

I would love to join but where's the info or link on the forum? I'm probably having a blonde moment lol
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:45 pm

If you look at my post before yours open the attachments and its all there :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Fred's post has the application form attached. Unless you have a 7 dial loom you are on your own with a soldering iron, bits of wire and copies of wiring looms diagrams. The light and wiper switch are fitted into the center console of a 7 dial car or the wipers are on the column stalk on later cars.

The 7 dial also uses a right angled speedo drive adapter and a different speedo cable with the correct screw fitting ends. The twin dial dash of some later SL cars has the correct adapter and cable as well I believe.

Your car, being a 71, probably has an early square vent dash and the 7 dial will be a bit of a mismatch in that style of dash in my opinion.

Have fun, and remember that a 7 dial isn't everything!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Curly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:04 am

O you got that Firenza I was also interested in that car, keep us posted on how you get on with it.
I agree ref difference in quality of whats about either mutton dressed as lamb, or you have to be very quick if its in a nice condition.
Curly
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Say Hello