Hello

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello

Postby John16 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:49 am

Hello from Scotland.

I'm finally getting around to reviving a 72 HC 4 Door. Its not run for about 12 years but has been stored inside and is in pretty good shape. Needs some brake work and new sills but I am sure there will be a few more things to sort after that....

Does anyone have any thoughts on Clarke Tools (machine Mart)? I was planning to get some stuff from them (engine crane, axle stands, hydraulic press). I can get them cheaper from draper but I have had mixed experience with thier tools in the past.

Cheers guys,
John16
First Post
First Post

Re: Hello

Postby 1972nail » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Welcome to the world of Vivas!

I've not used Clarke tools from Machine Mart so can't recommend. You will need axle stands. My preference is for the ratchet type, unfortunately I don't own that type but I've used them and like them a lot. Most are made by the same manufacturer and 'branded' differently for whoever retails them.

As far as an engine crane is concerned, as a DIY restorer you will probably only use it a few times so I would buy second hand or borrow / rent one when you need it. There are very few things on a Viva that require a hydraulic press so I would pay some else to press things off and on if I need that type of work done.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Hello, where about in Scotland are you?
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:06 pm

I have Machine Mart stuff. Never had a problem with it. Whats the reg of your Viva, any pics?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Say Hello