Panther Lima - Complete Rear Axle Required

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Panther Lima - Complete Rear Axle Required

Postby ChrisOinn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello;
Iā€™m new to this club and not particularly use to using Web based forums. I am trying to help a friend re-build a Panther Lima (Mk1 1978), and we need a new (or reconditioned) rear axle, complete with differential. I understand that this car originally used a Vauxhall Magnum D axle, with a ratio of 3.44 : 1 ā€“ compatible to a 2,300cc engine. However, the vehicle has a replacement engine of 2,600cc.
I would greatly appreciate any advice and / or assistance in sourcing a replacement axle suitable for this vehicle. If you are kind enough to assist in this quest, please also write to my e-mail (chris.oinn@compasspdc.com) with guidance as to how I should navigate your Web Site to access any replies.
Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.
Best Regards ā€“ Chris Oinn
ChrisOinn
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Panther Lima - Complete Rear Axle Required

Postby GAV » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:26 am

Not sure what 2600 engine you refer to(is it a bored and stroked Slant 4? as the Lima had Magnum running gear, The Kallister was available with 1.6 or 2.8 Ford engines (subsequently 2.8i or 2.9i engines as Ford changed designs) but as long as you have a compatible prop shaft from the gearbox to the axle differential , possibly with overdrive?
it should be no problem , I would have thought, but no doubt someone on here will know for certain. :goodideasign:
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ChrisOinn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 am

Hi Gav. Thank you for your reply & advice. The Lima has a 2.6L Ford Cologne engine - no overdrive. Still looking for a replacement axle. Kind Regards - Chris
ChrisOinn
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby GAV » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:53 am

OK got you now, so that was an option on German Taunus but maybe even encompassed the RS 2.6 Capri Mark one and a half ( we had the Essex RS3.1) again if its a V6 then would the Kallister axle/diff not fit, or even a Capri one(It doesnt list the Kallister with that engine or the Lima with anything other than the Slant 4 Magnum with said running gear,so the whole matter is a bit confusing .
Is there not a Panther West Winds forum you can google to get more exacting advices.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Say Hello