Hello from Bolton!

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello from Bolton!

Postby mattbs1977 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello everyone!

I've just bought my first classic car, a 1971 Vauxhall Viva HC, 3 door deluxe saloon. I'm a novice in terms of classics and as a mechanic so am hoping to get as much knowledge as I can from the club. I'm in the process of signing up to be a member of the VVOC and planning to get my HC ready for the 2018 car show season.

Looking forward to chatting / learning from you all!

Cheers, Matt
1971 Vauxhall Viva HC, 1159 cc, Deluxe
mattbs1977
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hello from Bolton!

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Matt

Welcome - um 3 door? Surely you mean the highly desirable 2 door saloon?

Photos of said HC and what you're planning on doing with it would be nice. The early HCs are interesting (mine is a '71) in that some of them are drums all round, have the older headlamp bulbs rather than the modern H4 fitting, and no servo fitted. It just depends on the original spec or what's happened to it over the years.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi welcome - as a new full member you will have access to our spare scheme - try us 1st to see if we have what you want or can tell you where else to try. As Paul says pictures please and registration to check if we have it in the register!! look forward to see you out and about
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby mattbs1977 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Sorry yes 2 door! Fat fingers probably.

She's registered August '71, drums all round. I think Fred may have checked her against the register from some Facebook contact, registration is OTW 853K, with a 93311 VIN so I'm told she's a deluxe. She's got the 1159cc engine and is in need of a good service and recommissioning having been stood for a number of years! That's the winter plan, then have her tidied up ready for the spring/summer. I want to keep her as original as possible.

This will be my first classic car and I'm a novice so any advice would be greatly received. I'm really looking forward to getting her out to the shows next year looking her best.

Planned jobs are:
Oil and filter
Air filter
New HT leads and plugs
Replace rotor arm, points and distributor cap
Service brakes
Replace carpets (which are beyond salvation!)
Return bumpers, door handles and window surrounds back to chrome (someone painted them black - badly!)
Clutch adjustment

Thanks for the welcome!

Matt
mattbs1977
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby mattbs1977 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:29 pm

If anyone can offer any history on her that would be brilliant too as unfortunately she hasn't come with much. She's had two owners and spent her life in Dagenham and Romford.

Cheers, Matt
mattbs1977
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Say Hello