Proud owner of a 1978 Vauxhall Viva - Manufacture date?

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Proud owner of a 1978 Vauxhall Viva - Manufacture date?

Postby khany1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself :D

I recently purchased a 1978 Vauxhall Viva HC after finding out my late father owned one in the early 80's.

I'm currently trying to determine the manufacture date of the car as the DVLA have it 9 months after the date of registration. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where I could get some sort of evidence to send to the DVLA to correct the manufacture date?

I have lots of paperwork with the car, including the original purchase receipt. It has covered just over 60,000 miles and drives like a dream :D

Some details:
Registration No. UCF 782S
Date of Registration: 29/03/1978
Date of Manufacture: UNKNOWN (DVLA have it as the last day of 1978)
Chassis No. 9D69DHX128223
Engine No. 1920387

1978 Vauxhall Viva HC
khany1
First Post
First Post

Re: Proud owner of a 1978 Vauxhall Viva - Manufacture date?

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm

That's a nice car to run as it is and a really good starting point if you intend to improve it.

You can contact the Vauxhall Heritage centre who have a small charge for the search. However, they don't always turn up an that is any more accurate than the details here in the Technical Details area, which gives the model year and not date of manufacture. The info in Technical details area would suggest a model year date of 1978, which started production in approximately November 1977 and ended in about November 1978. So not much help there.

The records that Vauxhall kept are nowhere near as detailed as the BL /BMC / Rover records which can pinpoint the week and in some cases, the exact date.

It makes sense that if you have the original purchase documentation showing the chassis number then the car must have been manufactured before that date. You could try the DVLA with that info.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:41 am

Nice viva, lovin' that cream dash :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:49 pm

looks a tidy car - typical DVLA don't know what they are writing down -probably a slip of the pen if it is 9 months after registration they wrote the wrong year down 3 months prior to registration would fit - anyway Vauxhall Heritage should know.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Say Hello