picnic in the park

Tell us all about what's happening and what you did

picnic in the park

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:15 pm

As some may know, Ralph and I have come up with the idea of a picnic in the park. The idea of this event is to theme it in a 70's style with the cars pre-dating 1980, to wear 70's clothes and to listen to 70's music. Eat and drink the sort of stuff that would have been common place in the 70's. Of course cars pre 1970 would be welcome as they would have been on the roads during the 70's. You don't however have to oun a car from this era to take part in the event, just turn up and enter into the spirit of it. I have been talking to HB Peter and his friend Dave who are keen on Skoda's and they will also be joining with the event if possible. I thought that as well as the picnic, we could try to get a tour of the Bulma's Cider factory in hereford or the Robert Opey Museum in Gloucester. This museum is full of archive tv films and commercials, and food and chocolate that is wrapped in the way it was in the 70's, so I thought this could be a proper trip down memory lane for some of us, or educational for the younger amoungst us. If you have any links to any other clubs or people that you think may enjoy this experience, please invite them allong. It is hoped that this event can take place during either late July or August when the weather should be perfect for a trip back in time.

Please let me know how much interest there may be, as this event will be a great undertaking to organise.

Thank you,

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby psl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:36 pm

sound like an interesting event, is it a one day`er?
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Chevetter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 pm

Crikey Ian - you have been busy coming up with ideas haven't you?

Can I make a small ammendmant to the rules for which cars are allowed to partake? Since the event is (or was originally) a 'Viva and Chevette' picnic can we change it to 'vehicles based on a pre-1980 design' as Chevettes ran to 1985 (and come to think of it HC's ran 'til 1980 and didn't HA vans remain in production until 1983?).

Maybe it would be better to re-word things 'bring your viva, chevette or other period vehicle'

Ralph
Chevetter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby psl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:58 pm

have you posted too early again Ian?
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:06 pm

4th or 5th of August would be good.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Chevetter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:14 pm

I'll be honest I'm not overly keen on the visits to various museums either.

I thought an event which is 'a great undertaking to organise' was something that we were trying to avoid - i.e. wasn't this supposed to be a relaxed meet-up?

As for the location - is Gloucester area really the best place for the event? It's nice and close to South Wales but is it nice and close for other people that would be attending?
Chevetter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm

O.K. People no problem. Any suggestions that I have made are not set in stone. I like Clara's dates. The Car thing can be ammended, but we did agree a 70's theme so what shall we say pre-85, that is not a problem. Location to me is not a matter of how far the event is from my home as members of the committee for this club will know. Regarding going to a museum, I was trying to find something that would interest people who have expressed a love of nostalga. Given your tender years Ralph, you may not appreciate that, but the older members may have liked it, the museum in question is not like the sort of place you would expect a museum to look like. Cider is a summertime drink and was verry popular in the 70's, so that is why I also made the suggestion to go to Bulma's Cider factory. You did state the Midlands for the event, and both Gloucester and Hereford are in the Midlands. Where-ever we hold the event, it will probably be near to somebody's home and far away from sombody elses. Please feel free to come up with suggestions, as the event is to be planned and publicised, I am open to suggestions. One or two days, its up to you, but lets not find reasons not to do it and look for more to ensure that it is a great sucess and that everybody who attends has a great time.

Ian.
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 pm

What about inviting other clubs who have suitable cars to join in?
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Chevetter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:22 pm

AUTOMAN wrote:O.K. People no problem. Any suggestions that I have made are not set in stone. I like Clara's dates. The Car thing can be ammended, but we did agree a 70's theme so what shall we say pre-85, that is not a problem. Location to me is not a matter of how far the event is from my home as members of the committee for this club will know. Regarding going to a museum, I was trying to find something that would interest people who have expressed a love of nostalga. Given your tender years Ralph, you may not appreciate that, but the older members may have liked it, the museum in question is not like the sort of place you would expect a museum to look like. Cider is a summertime drink and was verry popular in the 70's, so that is why I also made the suggestion to go to Bulma's Cider factory. You did state the Midlands for the event, and both Gloucester and Hereford are in the Midlands. Where-ever we hold the event, it will probably be near to somebody's home and far away from sombody elses. Please feel free to come up with suggestions, as the event is to be planned and publicised, I am open to suggestions. One or two days, its up to you, but lets not find reasons not to do it and look for more to ensure that it is a great sucess and that everybody who attends has a great time.

Ian.
AUTOMAN.

I'm not finding reasons not to do the even Ian, I'm trying to find ways of making it less complicated. I just think that visiting a museum a/ creates a lot of extra work for the organiser and b/ takes a large part of the day away from what, in my eyes, the event is actually supposed to be about - i.e. meeting up with other like minded people and discussing cars.

As for each of the museums, despite my tender years I would rather enjoy a visit to a 70s museum, I think that people of more advanced years such as yourself often tend to stereotype youngsters :wink:

With regard to the cider factory, I have 2 additional objections: 1/ Is a place in which it would be fairly easy to quaff down a few glasses of an alcoholic drink such a good idea for an event where a good proportion of the participants will be required to drive home? 2/ Bulmers are responsible for scrumpy jack, woodpecker and strongbow and I very much doubt that the factory will be anything other than large and dull. Bulmers are not craft cider producers and in my opinion not producers of a quality product.

Cider is not only a summer drink, it is a winter drink, a spring drink and an autumn drink too and there are many different ciders which are produced to best suit different times of year (generally stonger in the winter!). Cider was not only popular in the 70's, it is also popular now - since their large UK advertising campaign Magners Irish Cider has become a very popular drink amongst young people. If a cider factory visit were the order of the day then I would suggest that somewhere like Westons would be far more suitable, but again I think its missing the point of the event.

The way I see the whole thing going is this:

It's a 1 day event.

We all roll up in the morning to the nice park that we have arranged to use, line our cars up and all have a poke round them and a natter. Then at an organised time we have a big picnic, perhaps by the cars or perhaps somewhere else. Maybe people could even make 70's food for the picnic? Then more nattering about cars (it may sound rediculous that the main part of the event will be standing around talking but I for one don't see myself getting bored). Then maybe some awards, nothing too serious - maybe best dressed, furthest travelled, best sideburns etc. and that would be pretty much it. If thats not enough of an itinerary then how about throwing in an organised cruise where we all drive around the local area in convoy?

I for one would welcome comments/suggestions about this plan.

Peter: I plan to invite all 3 of the car clubs in the UK that have a strong contingent of Chevettes.
Chevetter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:46 pm

Ralph, it has dawned upon me that I should point out that I am in my 30's, so not quite ready to draw a pension. I do not see this as an arguement and welcome open debate from all. I find some of your ideas appealing, but the idea of a cruise is probably not so good as this type of thing is best left to you youngsters that can out-run the law with your enhanced engines etc. lol..... But ceriously, we must consider the general age range of all that may attend, so I do honestly understand your point of view.

As for Paul's comment regarding posting this event to early, as you can see, there are several viewpoints to consider and that is why the planning is so important and why all who are interested should be heard as you know only too well the ammount of events that are organised that people express an interest in, but then don't attend for one reason or another. That is why we are inviting suggestions in order that as many people as possible become involved and feel like they have contributed their ideas and become an important part of the organisation.

So add your voice and tell me or Ralph what you want and we can make picnic in the park work,

Where? What? and How? But we do have a when?

Ian
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Next

Return to Events