Viva Barn Find

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Viva Barn Find

Postby VinceViva » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi all,

I was given the opportunity to get a viva or it was going to the scrap yard. The pictures show how we found it. We got it back to the workshop and began stripping it down for a full restoration. I'm not that familiar with the car so any info would be great. I'm hoping to put a larger engine in to give it some more go.
Here is what I know: its a 1971, 1.2ll, it has 28000 miles on the clock, 4 door, it has been parked in the barn we found it in for about 30+ years. I think it could be a gl but feel free to correct me.
VinceViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Viva Barn Find

Postby BobbyMel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:53 pm

A few pictures may help....just saying like.

Bob
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby VinceViva » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:14 pm

I will post some pic's, probably need to be sized as it has to be minute to attach it on here
VinceViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:26 pm

You can use a picture hosting site like Photobucket and attach the image code to your post.

There was no GL model in the HC range in 1971, but there was an SL model. If it is an SL from 71 with the early square vent dash, with only 21K then it is a very rare find indeed. I think that departing from standard spec with period or easily reversible modifications would certainly not enhance such a rare car, in my opinion anyway.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VinceViva » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:55 pm

VinceViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby michaelmate » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:50 pm

As stated above , its an ' early ' early type Viva HC deluxe , On Devon plates as well, being an ' FJ ' ,Which means it was registered in Exeter , Should make a good project , I'm also in Devon, Okehampton , Where abouts are you?
Last edited by michaelmate on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects........Projects........Projects!
HC 391
michaelmate
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VinceViva » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Not far, we actually got the Viva just outside winkleigh. I used to work around okey. I've already got the engine and box out. Engine was bone dry literally rusted up to the oil cap. It Will definitely make a great project. Car was bought in newton abbot judging by dealership stickers on the window
VinceViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Welcome to the world of Viva :P Engine will be 1159cc - rare early car if you want more umph need to upgrade to slant 4 engine 1800cc or 2300cc - which will require upgraded running gear but will allow upgrade to be reversed to original spec.
We have a s/h 1159 engine which turns if you want to keep original - you would do well to join the club for more help with the restoration. Membership form attached for your consideration
Attachments
InquiryLetter.doc
(25 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Application Form.doc
(34 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbpeter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Welcome. Its actually a Deluxe model. Rear seat is a bench not 2 sculpted ones, and door trims dont go all the way to the top of the doors. Early square vent and if original engine 1159cc. What is the reg number? GFJ 399K? Needs a lot of work by the look of it and new panels are rare and pricy when they do crop up. Can get fibreglass wings easy. Interior trim even more rare than panels. Not trying to put you off, but you carnt just go buy stuff like you can for Fords, Minis, MG's etc. Keep your eye on ebay, autojumbles, and this forum. If you join the club we have a spares section, mainly mechanical, club mag and more of this forum.

Good luck with it and keep us informed.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby VinceViva » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Cool thanks for the extra info Peter. The reg is UFJ 399J. It is a 1159cc. Glad to hear it's one of the rarer early models.Yeah it needs work but I'm not expecting to do it over a couple weekends, it'll be a full restoration. We have the technology at my workshop to sort most of it. I've seen a couple wings on the bay for at least £££s. Might go for fibreglass bus that's a long way off. Interior is pretty good really I think a good clean and it'll look pretty nice.

This isn't the first project we've done so we're aware of the pitfalls with old projects. My friends and I helped my old man restore a triumph renown/razoredge. We use it for a wedding car now.

I'll keep putting pic's up to show progress as I go through it.

Thanks for everyones input :)
VinceViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to Found a Viva in real life?